Author Topic: Handlebar width and rise  (Read 842 times)

Offline spivak74

Handlebar width and rise
« on: February 12, 2024, 02:55:44 PM »
Hello,
My current setup is Haro La bastille 20.25" 75.5 HT with 15 offset fork and S&M intrikat bar 9" rise 27" width.
Im 6" tall, old shcool rider and feel the bike is a bit twitchy. im thinking going with wider and maybe higher rise bar.
Any recommendations for geo numbers and bars?

Thanks! 

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Handlebar width and rise
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 08:23:17 PM »
I had the 9" rise intrikats and went to the 9.5 which gave a longer width by 1". I found this to be quite comfortable. Also you could look at stems as well. maybe a little longer would help
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 09:41:31 PM »
Hello, could you post a picture of your bike? Depending on the spacer situation I would suggest to think about a "fork riser" to have a lower head tube angle. 75.5 could be the reason for feeling twitchy. I don't know what you have ridden in the past, but most old school bikes had lower HT angles. Are you familiar with the "fork riser"?

Offline spivak74

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 03:01:38 PM »
Iv ridden in the past a Standard Shorty and Shaman, i think they are 74.5 HT
I'm not familiar with the fork riser.
I don't have room for spacers in the steer tube.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 04:43:49 PM »
TBH that headtube angle will feel twitchy in general. just takes a little getting used to is all. i rode one of those and learned nose wheelies on it
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 06:41:20 PM »
Hello, that is what I was thinking about: "TBH that headtube angle will feel twitchy in general." Thanks for the picture, so there is no space for additional spacers. The fork riser is basically a spacer that you put onto the fork below the lower headset bearing. So the lower part of your fork becomes "longer" and so the whole frame is shifted upwards and therefore the HT angle gets lower. But this seems no option for you because of the steerer tube is too short for that.
Another stem is also not an option from my point of view because yours is already quite long.
I would say a higher handlebar will not make it better.
So I would try to get used to the bike or buy another frame or another fork with longer steerer tube so you can try the fork riser. For example: https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/463644
It might be difficult to get one of these.

Offline spivak74

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 11:57:09 AM »
Thanks metalbmxer and Daddycool.

A higher handlebar will not make it better but i think a wider will, as it will require more movement input  side to side and will have more leverage to couner the fork twitchy movement.

I understand that a frame with 75 HT will be better with 15 offset fork, i wonder if a 25 offset fork will compensate on a 75.5 HT...

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 04:19:18 PM »
You're welcome!
I personally see fork offset to be independent from HT angle. I doubt that one can compensate the other. I would not use more than 15 mm offset for flatland, but it is personal preference...
If you are willing to spend some money give it a try with a wider handlebar or another fork with more offset. Playing around with your setup a little bit can help to find what feels the best for you.
I haven't changed my setup for years because I think it fits and so I prefer the consistency over possible small improvements. But as you have described it does not feel 100 % for you so I would try some smaller changes... Keep us updated!

Offline spivak74

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 04:30:26 PM »
Will do.

Daddycool, can you share your setup and height?

There should be a database for setups/riders height :)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 12:07:18 AM »
Hello, I put a bike check here almost 10 years ago:
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=61962.msg465108#msg465108
Some stuff is different know, but the geometry is still like this (same frame, handlebar and zero offset forks). I am 1.88 m.