Author Topic: Chrome Rims  (Read 2380 times)

Offline mtbmonkey

• Forkglider
Chrome Rims
« on: May 18, 2021, 06:33:44 PM »
Howdy!

Are chrome rims still the better braking surface?  I'm a bigger guy (250lb), or is running Kool Stop pads the answer?   Thanks for the answers ahead of time. 

Terry

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Chrome Rims
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 11:17:56 PM »
Hello, you can use anodized rims with clear brake pads. They stop well. But these clear brake pads make a lot of squeaking noise. In addition you can not control the breaking power so well. It is more "digital", so stop the wheel or not. For example mutiple whiplashes with the use of the brake will not be possible.
For me it works because I use the brake for tricks like pinky squeaks where I want the wheel to stop imediately and for rolling tricks I try to do everything without the brake.
I need to clean the rims more often depending on the spot (if it is dusty I sometimes clean the rim or the pads twice per session).

Offline mtbmonkey

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 06:39:04 AM »
I guess I will stick with the chrome rims since I know how they respond.  Thank you for your answer.  I appreciate.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 10:09:43 AM »
Are chrome rims still produced and available these days?

actually now, like in many areas of bmx components, there is now a better offer on brake pads bmx oriented than before, like the clear ones mentionned by DaddyCool, designed to work on alloy surface rims. And it's never a good idea to use too old brakes pads anyway

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 03:53:55 PM »
Chrome rims are still your best bet ,But the problem is finding them currently .I was going to wait until odyssey restocked the hazard lite ,But I just went with the black hard ano rims .I had no problem with salmon Koolstop pads and the black hard ano .Im trying out the clear koolstop flatland pads .I just hope they produce them in the salmon flavor soon .  Well turns out they do make the flatland pad (city pad) in salmon so I just ordered 2 pair of them .I like them way better than the eagle claw 2 pad (which I have used for 25 years now ....Damn The city pad seems to be a updated version of the pad they made for gt back in the day .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 04:12:17 PM by smsabb »

Offline mtbmonkey

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 07:18:18 AM »
I use Sun Rhynolite for MTB and my cruiser.  I can get these in chrome.  Also Sun Envy too.  Your thoughts on this rims for flatland?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 01:38:30 PM »
Hello, I used chrome Sun Rhyno Lite XL rims for many years. The chrome was quite good and the rim itself was also running without any problems for me. I used the 48 H by the way. The Sun Envy are good from what I heard but I did not try them by myself.

Offline mtbmonkey

• Forkglider
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 01:41:08 AM »
So I went with Black Odyssey Hazard Lites with the flatland Kool Stops.  Why didn't we have these pads back in the 80's and 90's?  They are incredible!  Thanks for all the insight and help everyone.