Author Topic: What is the greatest front hub of all time?  (Read 3715 times)

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
What is the greatest front hub of all time?
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:15:05 AM »
I've been having issues with my front hubs for the past while now and I really want to hear which front hub is the tried, tested and true greatest front hub ever. What do you think and why?
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Phatman

Re: What is the greatest front hub of all time?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:57 AM »
G-Sport Marmoset: 20mm Inner Axle Threaded for 3/8ths x 24TPI Bolts, Over Sized Bearings in a pretty nice looking Hour Glass Shell. Alloy Collars & for being "Oversized" Its still pretty damned light!

It has been replaced with the Simian Hub which is basically a little more updated to be a bit more "Street Friendly" Steel Collars, Stepped Back Flanges for more Grind clearance. Slightly lighter i believe too.

They roll forever & ever & ever!

Tree Straight Pull - Obviously they have the Straight Pull Hub Shell which makes them stand out but they have the 17mm 7075 Alloy Female Inner Axle threaded for 3/8ths x 24TPI Bolts which are not Hex Headed they have a built in socket broach, so you literally just slot your socket extension in it to tighten the bolts! It has a interesting bearing set up that stops any rolling resistance even under high side loads & supposedly stops any loose feeling in the Hub also. Check it out!!

There are a few others that come to mind for different reasons that would take me forever to type out!
Profile Mini, Eclat Dynamic, BSD Front Street, Odyssey Antigram...

There are some that are really light, others that have narrower Flange spacing, different sized bearings etc, etc...

Offline xsjadorider

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:17:29 AM »
I like my profile mini! I ride street park and flat with them (2 different bikes) raced with them and i loveee them, still roll like new after a long time, and they are customizable! and the colors are a plus too lol
but in all seriousness a great hub IMO

Offline Deadwing

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:55:22 AM »
G-Sport Marmoset is probably the best hub I have ever ran. Rolls smooth and very burly.

Ive ran a few different front hubs, tried different things as I mostly ride front wheel.

Tree straight pull hub, didn't care for it too much. The wheel developed a bad hop after only 2 months of riding. The hub also had some side to side play, and constantly had to be tightened. Rode it for a total of 8 months before I got the marmoset.

Fly Front Hub (Female) Loved this hub alot. Rolled smooth but due to the wide spacing of the hub my foot would sometimes hit the spokes on certain tricks.

Profile Mini-Rode this for awhile. Looks excellent, comes in some excellent colors. More expensive than a marmoset however, and both are around the same weight.
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/hashcab217

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
Hoffman/ gack girthy hub, had one for close to 8 years before it was stolen along with my bike; smooth and stiff as hell, no bearing replacement needed-8 f*cking years! Chrome and heft was penalties.
proper magnalite male version, spins smooth, fairly light as standard. Lighter still if you can find titanium version of the axle made for the magnesium- shelled version.
dk- the one sold at flatfuel. Was really impressed when i tried it on my friend's bike, really smooth and cheap.

sh*tty hubs-
Primo pro 3/8 axle with high flanges. Bearing binds the moment you tighten down the axle bolts
the khe greyhound clones being sold at flatland fuel; same as above. ( i manage to purchase an actual khe greyhound, the axle and bearing system differs from the clones )
suzue sealed high flange- could never get them to work properly, even with king bike co. Axle upgrades.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
I assume you are asking about commercially available hubs, not rare hubs like the sym, or collectable like the suntours or insanely pricy Chris king, Phil wood or titanium everything profiles with aluminum collars with anti-squash steel inserts.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:33 AM »
I would have said G-sport marmoset too since the design is genius but I've owned a couple that had that side to side knock going on because the tolerances were off. This forced me to sand down the axle flanges and now one of them is too tight. Just super frustrating. So I switched to a fly 48 front hub with a male axle and the same damn thing started happening so I had to file down the bearing race flanges on that axle too. I just want a hub that will roll smooth and not knock side to side without having to modify it. The antigram and simian look great but looks can be deceiving :(

I heard the hoffman front was one of the best for a long time but not many people ride one anymore
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:53:37 AM »
I would have said G-sport marmoset too since the design is genius but I've owned a couple that had that side to side knock going on because the tolerances were off. This forced me to sand down the axle flanges and now one of them is too tight. Just super frustrating. So I switched to a fly 48 front hub with a male axle and the same damn thing started happening so I had to file down the bearing race flanges on that axle too. I just want a hub that will roll smooth and not knock side to side without having to modify it. The antigram and simian look great but looks can be deceiving :(

I heard the hoffman front was one of the best for a long time but not many people ride one anymore

I actually had this with my hub initially, and it just went away. I think over time it just sort of gives every so slightly and no longer rattles. I've even since replaced the bearings and it rolls very well.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
Ha, one of the lbs still have stock of them because of flaking chrome on the alloy shell. They are going cheap... Last i saw, they had the 14mm flat axle front hub version, which is rare from my understanding. Must ask if they still have the 3/8 axle version.
lmk if you are interested, 48hole only if I remember correctly.