Author Topic: Intrikats too quick or setup problem?  (Read 11389 times)

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
Intrikats too quick or setup problem?
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
As much as I love it, I don't think I'm ever going to adjust to my 19.5 Intrikat, it's just too quick all around.  I'm using Primo Strand V2 forks too.

I think I need more mellow steering and longer chainstays, maybe even a bit longer on the front end.

Every time I lean just a little the bike pops up on one wheel (either one).  It sounded like a good thing at first, but it just feels uncontrollable for me.  Tricks I've nailed for decades are harder than they should be and it's taking all the fun out of it.

I've changed handlebar size (from 6.5 up to 8.5 tall), position and stem length and it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions before I sell or trade it off?  Ideas for a replacement?

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Intrikats too quick or setup problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »
What stem are you running? offset could be the issue.

What size tires you running? Maybe a little larger size is needed.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmpŪ
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
interesting...

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
I haven't tried a minimal offset stem, but I've used three that were between "normal" length and long race-style length.  I ended up using the shortest I had (an old Haro).

I've been running 1.75 Frequency-G's.  I bought some cheap but heavy 2.1's just to see if it would help.  I could tell it was more stable in some ways, but not really in the way that was bothering me the most.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Yeah that's what I was saying is try out offsets. I am running 0 offset forks with a 0 offset sequence 6th st bar/stem combo and it is amazing on my 19" intrikat. Though I'd keep the strand forks if I were you.

Tires: yeah 2.1 maybe stick with that for now but probably way heavy. 1.85 frequency G's or 1.95 comets might work better.

You may just need to get used to the bike my friend!

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »
Ok, so you're on an Intrikat that I'd expect to be more touchy than mine since you have 0 offset forks.

Do you feel like there is no "feel" to it getting into a trick?

For example, ever open a door you expected to be heavy and just ripped it open like the Hulk?  That's what going into a hang 5 feels like.  I've been able to ease into them smoothly since like 1990, yet after months on this bike I flail like a noob unless I'm super focused trying not to.

I feel like I'm riding a cracked frame that I'm babying so it doesn't brake in half.  If I get at all excited, it's all over with.

Back wheel tricks are very similar.

It's not that it's just super light either.  My sons race bike is lighter, but when he put pegs on it to play around, I could ride it better than the S&M.

I'm not saying the bike is bad, it's a hell of a nice bike, I'm just not sure I can make it work for me.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:37:54 PM »
Wait, the seat post height must be re-adjusted. I have mine about 1 fist long and had also experimented with the seat angle as well. The rear of the seat is much lower than the front. See what's best for you. Robpossible and I chatted about it and his post is now lower too. Best wishes.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:41:44 PM by metalbmxer »

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 11:39:02 PM »
On the tires - the Fit FAF 2.1's are actually lighter than the 1.85 frequency G's (comparing tan wall to tan wall)

Offline FlatismŪ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 11:39:35 PM »
what were you riding before teh Intrikat?
Flat-ism

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:44 PM »
My intrikat feels perfect. Sure it's responsive but I've grown accustomed to the feel of it and have some finesse now.

Offline cbentley

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:53 AM »
I feel your pain (also have a 19.5") and have been toying around with several adjustments. I'd say that most of MY problem is the fact that this is a "new school" bike and I quit flatland about 1993 so everything feels a bit awkward to me anyway. I also had a Primo V2 fork and just couldn't jive with it. Switched to Flatware minimal offset and even though the change is slight (+3mm), I can feel the difference. I'd never be able to run zero offset. I settled on a lil redneck stem at 49mm after trying that and a Flatware stem. The decreased reach of the flatware stem felt too twitchy for me. As for bars, I tried the Intrikat bars but decided they were just too tall although I loved the feel of them. Went to the Hobby Bars which feel good as well but have decided to give a set of Chase bars a go due to the lowered crossbar and the fact that I miss riding a set of kneesaver type bars (ran Haro kneesavers from the time they came out until the day I quit). As for the seat position, I'm still trying to find the sweet spot. If it's too low I feel awkward doing steamrollers and if it's too high I've got great leverage but can't hang 5.  Most of my issues are probably related to having to acclimate to newer style geometry. I will say the Intrikat feels stable for me riding park.

Just thought I'd pass along my experience with this frame too.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 01:55:37 AM »
@cbently, yup, we're in really similar situations with the same problems.

I haven't ridden a lot of flat in almost as many years and I got the bug again earlier this year.  I always set my bikes up so that I could ride flat when I wanted, but primarily stuck to parks for a while.

Prior to this I've been riding park frames (a Ruben, some 2hip, then a short-ish Haro).  I felt a lot more controlled on them, but the 21" top tube got in the way, then the Haro was a full-on tank.

Funny you mention it, I've got a pair of 87-89 Kneesavers on mine right now.  I found them real cheap and always liked them until they broke so I gave them a shot too.  At least I'm not hitting my knees on the Slams I was using before that.

I haven't tried park on it at all.  It scares me enough on flat.

Offline cbentley

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:07:15 AM »
Believe it or not the 19.5 feels pretty stable in the park for me but I'm only 5'-8" so I'm not sure how it would fly if you're a taller rider. I'm actually thinking a 19" would be more my size. The last bike I really gelled with was an 89 Dyno Pro Compe and rode it to death until replacing it with a Haro Master around 91 but it was never the same. I did have a GT Show in 97 that I rode for a bit but never liked it all that much. I'm still thinking the Intrikat is a good fit for me if I can get everything tweaked right and get a few more hours in on it.

So... when are top tube platforms coming back?  :ride:

Offline SERGI8

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »
This is not the answer that you are expecting.. but, i think that your problem is more a matter of you getting used to the frame than a frame problem...

my advice is to give it time to "relearn" all your stuff.. It has taken me some months to get used to my intrikat, but the frame is pretty "standard in size" so there is nothing wrong with itīs geo (im still trying to get back all my tricks) and this happens always when you switch from one setup to another...

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 05:52:49 AM »
If you feel like its too fast, yet investing in a different fork and or stem is an issue.  Try a headangle slacker.  Either the St. Martin or Infinity.  Cheapest way to slow down the angles on any bike.  Because the feel is the SUM the surrounding parts NOT just the frame angles.   Running different width tires can alter h/t angle by up to half a degree.