Author Topic: Taska Ufree?  (Read 9849 times)

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
Taska Ufree?
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a Taska Ufree to replace my Nankai, mainly to drop some weight off the back end.

Anybody have experience with them?  Good?  Bad?

Thanks

Offline DLK

• Cliffhanger
Re: Taska Ufree?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »
You will hear good and bad. I've been on mine for two plus years, three to five days a week and I've never once had an issue. I've never even had to open it up.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
i wasnt a fan of mine and got rid of it fast but alot of my buddies run with no problems. also i had issues with my frame being 14mm and the adapters slipping.changed to 14mm and problems were gone. like i said though my buddies still run it and it very easy to maintain i was just unlucky

Offline Dadzwhybe

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
Got mine since 1 month, the slack is iregular but no other issues.
Not expensive too.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:06 PM »
My Nankai has been as reliable and consistent as I could ever hope for, but I keep it well maintained.

I've ridden with a freewheel so much that it just feels like there's a brick back there and when I switch to a longer frame it's only going to seem worse.

It sounds like the Taska might do the trick (pun intended).  Thanks guys!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »
Do you have tree pegs and Kevlar tires yet? Another freecoaster is a can of worms!

What about a trimmed, short seat post? Or a light seat?

36 spokes out back and trimmed down axle?

Titanium spindle and micro sprocket? With a light chain?

Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline you

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »
You will hear good and bad. I've been on mine for two plus years, three to five days a week and I've never once had an issue. I've never even had to open it up.

Same here.
Mine's 2 years old, rolls great, never's been opened.

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
I got mine a year ago and at first it was a nightmare to get it working properly. I had to open it four times until it was spot on, but since then I've only opened it to keep it clean and I am really happy with it.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »
I'm in the market for one too, so this answers my question.
Flat-ism

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »
@metalbmxer I'm not sure if you're ragging on me for being a weight watcher or being serious.

I have nothing super light, just Huck suppressor lites, 36 spokes and some of the light Frequency-G's.  Everything else is at least average to heavy weight.

I know I could use a seat too, I'm still using a old Primo that's built like a lazy boy and that's getting swapped out soon along with a new post.

The main thing bothering me was that when the rear end of the bike is in front of or beside me, it feels heavier than I'd like and there's almost a pound of useless weight in that hub.

There are a lot of things I'm not happy with on this bike, I'm just trying to work them out one by one before give up and trade it off.

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »
i rode it for about 3 months and snaped about 5 axles, broke clutch,.... i know im hard on parts but thats just to much so i wouldnt recomend it to anyone. if u want to drop the weight by changing FC o would go with aluminum nankai. they are about the same weight

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
I'm being 100% serious. Get a pivotal seat and post. Find the length you want it at and cut it just past the top tube. Get the smallest sprocket you can. I ride a nankai hub also, laced to a gsport birdcage with 18t profile sprocket, 140-145mm profile cranks with Ti spindle and tree pegs.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »
Also, make sure you have the Klyte version of the frequency G, and yeah if you have a whole bunch of axle sticking out why not trim it off? They make alloy axle nuts and alloy dust cap and Ti axle for the regular nankai, which could really help out. Is it the 3/8 technolite or 14mm bamboo that you have?

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »
Also, make sure you have the Klyte version of the frequency G, and yeah if you have a whole bunch of axle sticking out why not trim it off? They make alloy axle nuts and alloy dust cap and Ti axle for the regular nankai, which could really help out. Is it the 3/8 technolite or 14mm bamboo that you have?

It's the old steel Nankai with 3/8 axle, not a Bamboo and all original steel hardware.

There is a little extra axle sticking out, but not enough to bother with.

I survived the 90's and 00's, so I'm worried about pounds not grams ;)

You're totally right, but I just want to hit the things that make huge differences before I go broke.

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 11:19:23 PM »
I do backwards manuals on mine all day! I think its an awsome freecoaster!