Author Topic: The Streetification of Flatland.?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
The Streetification of Flatland.?
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »
Now then, seems pretty evident these days, e.g. from the tricks, bike setups and the overall bmx influences...
So my question is, is this a good thing generally for 'flatland?'

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:15:20 PM by bmxism™ »
Flat-ism

Offline Limited

• Cliffhanger
Re: The Streetification of Flatland.?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »
It in itself is not a bad thing.It's what riders .companies and other aspects of flatland will do with it is what will be a good or bad thing. In my opinion i enjoy that more riders are utilizing tricks that are usually done by street riders,and the option of different parts, but we as a whole must understand no matter what we're still riding flatland no matter what style we do it in.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »
We called it freestyle BITD...ride your bike however the hell ya want!
"A puppet no more!"

Offline BMXTRIX

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:28:21 AM »
Most street riders don't know that the bunnyhop tailwhip (whopper) was a flatland trick and the concept of just doing a bunnyhop tailwhip was totally foreign to them until is showed up in flatland, then started getting taken to the street.

But, if you watch street videos, you will see that some of the most respected street riders have a phenomenal level of flatland skill and use it on the street.  Undertaker on a spine anyone?

The street influence on flatland isn't new and should always be used to push flat even further - as far as we possibly can.  The use of the bunnyhop as a transition from front wheel to backwheel and keep the tricks smooth and clean is long overdue to be fully exploited and will continue to progress.

But, flatland never stays still so there will be more influences and some will hate and others will just keep rolling with whatever comes.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:27:26 AM »
this is a valid observation.

on a tangent...showing my age perhaps? when i started riding - by and large, flatland was more technical. what i see the most from riders coming up is 1) lots of turbined steamrollers, with variations 2) lots of turbined peg wheelies with variations.

flatland used to have a lot more tech, and also more avenues that riders were exploring, than i'm seeing today; rounding off the corners and speaking in generalities that is...

and if i hear the word 'freestyle' again, i'm gonna just smash something close to me. haha
but not really

is this a good thing for flatland? as much as i like the vibe and look and feeling of street; i'd have to say that in the end it probably takes more than it gives.

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
Edit: I did mean in general!
So I Think you hit a couple of good points their Jm!
Flat-ism

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
Also, alot of where I was coming from with this observation has also been covered to some degree in Joe n cory's discussion, in which I've only just read!

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=50540.0

Flat-ism

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »
since flat isnt the most popular part of bmx i think its a positive thing that more flat guys are doing some street moves. to me it may bring more bmx street/park riders in to the world of flat. i see alot of street kids doing more flat moves like whiplashes/hang five variations rolaids out of ramps. this to me is good for flat. im old at 37 lol and we did it all on one bike. sure flat wasnt as tech back then but we could session and then hit jumps/hops and wallrides on the way home. its all bmx to me so its enjoyable. look at frank macchio's edits. great street/tech guyand integrates his street moves with his flat sessions. i had the opportunity to ride with him a few times and to me thats the future of flat. im sure many wont agree but to each his own,just ride  ;D

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »
I think that it's a good thing. Street bmx is fun, the only problem is that flatland parts sometimes aren't solid enough for street riding, and street parts, like wide handlebars, big tires and big top tubes, make flatland a little bit harder.

I saw in the old AFA masters videos that there was the flatland riding space, and 2 quarter pipes on the sides. Imagine how nice the contest would have been, if the flat riders had done tricks on these ramps and flatland tricks at the same time.

Personally, I enjoy flatland 100x more than street, because I'm not used to it, but I like trying some street move like manuals and no footers sometimes.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »
some years ago when chase came up with his brakeless concept, i remember riders had the same questions in their minds : is it  good or is it bad for flatland ? most people thought it would have flatland spinning in a smaller  circle because taking off brakes would deprive them of the added options brakes allowed.

this is a question that often comes up when something new is out there. Fear is the most common usual human reaction to the unknown.

but i think anything new is good when it comes to flatland, because flatland is all about creativity, and creativity feeds on new fresh ideas.

so i think it's good, to answer the question asked here.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
"it's FREEsty-"

100 ton anvil falls from the sky, smashes tod into pancake, comes out wheezing like an accordion.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »
"it's FREEsty-"

100 ton anvil falls from the sky, smashes tod into pancake, comes out wheezing like an accordion.

lmao... great visual.

Not sure about whether it's worth it or not to look too deep into it. I kinda figure the setups at any phase in flatland evolution are just reflective of where the tricks are at at any given time. Everyone is brakeless and rolling nowadays, and a lot of the focus is on forward rolling tricks and hop-whip stuff that are helped by added leverage (that you get from taller, wider bars). At the same time, when everyone was doing tech Andrew Faris style barflip switches, we were all running narrow bars with zero sweep so that the bars felt the same forwards or backwards (in theory at least) on frames with ultra steep head angles. It all just changes with the times. Also, the market for street parts is huge, and you're more likely to be able to find replacement 2-piece bars in your local shop for cheap then you are to find some flat specific bars from some Euro or Japanese company that will likely cost 3-4 times more.
Having a predefined concept of what flatland is supposed to be will only lead you to becoming one of those old dudes on Global posting up their bitterness because they feel like flat passed them by. Just accept that it's always going to change and evolve, and enjoy it for what it is at any given time.

Offline Andrew..

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 08:38:24 PM »
A lot of street riders are integrating flat tricks into what they do too, I don't think it's just flat going street but the opposite too. Street riders are doing hang 5's, hang nothings, whiplashes in and out of street lines and I've seen other stuff too, sure most of you will have too.
It's probably a good thing as flat has always been almost like a little bastard child of bmx that street / dirt / ramp riders had little time for, an outcast of an outcast sport, but the  integration between the two and that common ground can only be positive, it can only build more respect for each other as street riders dabble with flat and learn how hard it is, and flat riders dabble in street and gain an understanding of how difficult and ballsy it is. Hope that made sense.
Isn't that bike a bit small for you?

cordoba

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »
It's all about balance, having a bike that's a bit longer and stronger yet able to handle the more technical side of flat is a good thing, I think. I personally never enjoyed riding a KGB or the flimsy "new school" flatland frame of the mid 2000s.  I still don't feel like I really benefited much from the extra room on the KGB I rode for jump through switches and cross-footed tricks much more than I would a double diamond frame with a moderately low top tube.  As well, with well built double diamond frames I can count on not breaking them in under 8 months.

In general,as long as the minority of riders keep putting thought and work into expanding their riding then I don't think any sort of mainstream "fad" is a bad thing. I don't really see things changing that much in riding flatland overall as long as the bikes aren't too long and hamper the ability to ride flat on them. Sometimes you see guys riding bikes that are much longer than they're used to and it really slows them down for flat, that's about the most negative thing I see.

If having a slightly longer bike sudden makes it so every expert/master rider out there can do rollbacks, manuals, 180s, etc etc then I welcome that since I think having more general basic bike control is always a plus. The originals will continue to create and rippers will continue to rip.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »
if you pull all the time all of us have ridden we have literally spent hundreds of years doing manuals in different positions at different speeds in different directions and the moment someone does a bunnyhop 360 someone goes "EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT" and we're supposed to think it matters in the long run.