Author Topic: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread  (Read 211972 times)

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread
« on: July 04, 2007, 07:07:23 AM »
There's always a lot of questions about this bike.  I just got one so I thought I'd start a single thread as a clearinghouse for Signal info.

Here's some specs I got this evening that can't be found on the DK website anywhere:

Complete bike weight, minus reflectors, chain guard, etc.:  31 lbs.

Frame     5lbs.  10.8oz.
Fork       3lbs.   2.2oz.
Handlebars - 1lb 11oz - 37 ounces - 757g
Brakes             4.4oz.ea.
Sprocket          6.2oz.
Crank     2lbs.   1.0oz. w/o bearing/hardware
Chain               8.2oz.

Pegs:
Weight: .43 lbs.  6.88 ounces, 195 grams each
Pair: .86 lbs. 13.76 ounces 390 grams
Size 4.375 long by 2" diameter

Wheels:
RIMS:  Chrome 48 spoke Sun ZX25  280 grams each
Front - 1076 g (37.96 ounces 2.37 pounds)
Rear - 1299.81 g (45.85 ounces 2.87 pounds)
Total = 5.24 pounds 83.80 ounces

Tires: 655 g (23.45 ounces 1.47 lbs)

Stock Pedals: Wellgo LU-A8
Black - 576 g/pr
Wellgo pedals have easily removable reflectors

Taska 12 tooth non-sealed freecoaster.  No aftermarket smaller sprockets known to be available.

Seat Clamp: 28.6 grams (it's actually stamped on the bottom of the clamp - that's what it weighed as well).

Seat Post: 195 grams

Seat: Made by Velo for DK (stamped on the bottom of the seat) 516 grams with the guts.  375 grams without.  Seat length: 235mm long

Handlebars: 6.5" rise, 23.5" wide

Total Rise from bottom of stem to middle of the top of the handlebar grips: 7.75"

Also, I searched for the best bargain and ended up at Flatlandfuel.  Most every place offers them for around $289, but one Ebay company offers free shipping (but their feedback seems to show them to have slow and less than optimum service) and another online store engages in a very deceptive practice of labeling all of their bikes with a "FREE SHIPPING" label.  The only thing is that the offer has an "asterisk" and that leads to a disclaimer that "oversize" items aren't included.  I didn't see where the definition of what was "oversized" was listed anywhere easily seen, so I decided to avoid them and their crappy dishonest sales schemes (Kona - cough-).  I ended up back at Flatlandfuel.  I got my bike in a couple of days and there were no suprises.

If anyone has any questions, comments, measurement or picture requests, let me know.  I'll update the thread as I gather more info.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:05:08 PM by ancientskool »

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
Re: DK SIGNAL INFORMATION THREAD
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:54:08 PM »
DK Signal Global Flat Links:

Post Your DK Signal Bike Pics Thread:
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=3745.0

Offline dime

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:20:58 PM »
hey guys,i just started on this forum today.i was hoping that someone else out there with a dk signal could help me out or at least steer me in the right direction.the threaded sprocket on the freecoaster cracked in 5 places from torque,and i dont know where to find a replacement.i welded it on for a temporary fix.has anyone used guts from another f/c with replacement parts available?theres not many flatlanders out here,so i'm pretty much on my own for ideas.if i can't easily find a sprocket i'll just buy a custom set of wheel.except for the sprocket the stock wheels have been great.  thanks,dime   

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:09:05 AM »
Taska doesnt sell the cogs separately for that hub but I have found another brand that works. Unfortunately they are $20 for just the cog. Keep in mind that for $35 you can buy another whole hub so you would get a new driver (which you will need anyway if you welded the old cog to it), bearings, cog, axle and everything else.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:39:48 AM »
Here's a photo of my Signal

'

Offline Channy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:20:04 PM »
Hey guys, I've just signed up today.

I'm 27, and i've decided it's never to late to try and learn flat. I had an old mongoose when i was a teenager, but i never stuck with it. I've just ordered a DK Signal from flatland matters, and I was after some advice on some basic upgrages i could get to make it lighter.

I've already bought some ODYSSEY Bar Mitzvah Hi Rise Black handle bars and some red ODYSSEY Jim Cielincki Aluminium Loose Bearing pedals. Going for the whole red to match the mint green frame thing.

I got the bike from flatland fuel and i also ordered a dark red We The People Supreme Seatclamp and a red Primo Hemmorhoid  seat. Is this a good starter set up so far? hahaha

I'm thinking about getting some KHE Mac 1 Bonkers Light Folding Flatland BMX Tyre's. You can get them on ebay uk for £20 each. Would anyone recoment these or know anywhere to get them cheaper?

Also any other ideas would be welcome as I've never tried to do flatland before. I can just about manage to do a tail whip!

Cheers
Channy
Sorry... If I make another video I will put more crashes in there so you don't feel bad.

Offline Channy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 01:30:56 PM »
Cheers mate,

I've ordered my signal 2007, but i'm thinking i should of waited for the 08 model.

Ah, f*ck it! I like the mint green and I can't see them changing the spec that much
Sorry... If I make another video I will put more crashes in there so you don't feel bad.

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 06:15:32 AM »
Handlebar: 23.5" Wide

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 07:32:51 AM »
decent bike, I recently bought one myself, my first BMX bike at 19.  If you have the funds, I'd recommend getting a better bike to start with, it's quite far from being a perfect bike.  I personally don't like the handlebar backsweep and offset fork.

BIG TIP: as soon as you get the bike, ride it a little bit, see if you're OK with the slack when you push the pedals, open up the back hub, take out a washer or two for more slack if you like, and (important) regrease the HELL out of the inside.  you'll need a 15mm cone wrench to open it up.  My driver was making noise and not working properly sometimes, and it seems to be a common problem.  A sh*tload of grease and it runs a hell of a lot better now.

Also: put whatever spacers you need between the frame and wheels, you don't want to bend the frame at all.

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
Re: DK Signal Information Thread
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 06:32:18 AM »
NEW 08 MODEL INFO:

http://www.flatlandfuel.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=849786%7C889295&PRID=1561865

What's changed?

New colors/graphics (Purple/White and Blue/White) WAS: Mint Green Only
36H Chrome rims WAS: 48 Chrome rims
Front Load stem  WAS: Top load stem
Kenda "Street Design" tires  WAS Interstate 85 street tires

Offline Channy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 12:13:07 PM »
Not keen on the color, I'm glad i went for the og balance now ;D

Offline jungldbll

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »
Painting mine soon. Too cheap to buy new stuff, so I'm just going to have it painted. So while I have it apart for paint, I thought I would weigh some things that haven't been posted.

Frame     5lbs.  10.8oz.
Sprocket          6.2oz.

I don't know what color yet, but I'll post some pics when finished.

Offline Equanimity

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 09:41:31 PM »
what is it with 08 bikes there all looking sh*t

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 10:37:40 PM »
Painting mine soon. Too cheap to buy new stuff, so I'm just going to have it painted. So while I have it apart for paint, I thought I would weigh some things that haven't been posted.

Frame     5lbs.  10.8oz.
Sprocket          6.2oz.

I don't know what color yet, but I'll post some pics when finished.

THANKS!   Those are most of the specs I hadn't been able to get yet.

I think that the only thing not weighed now may be the handlebars.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 12:01:38 AM by ancientskool »

Offline yoksthed0pest

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 06:27:18 AM »
Hey Ancient, if it possible to heighten the seat? I have to ask because I don't know how to go about taking it apart, even though I am looking at the manual right now.
Just wondering if it can go any higher, or if I have to buy a seat post or something. Just having a hard time grabbing the seat (it is too low, or my arms are too short). THANK YOU  -_-
09.26.07 - Signal
08.24.08 - Official Day 1