Author Topic: My Handlebar Build Thread  (Read 11196 times)

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
My Handlebar Build Thread
« on: April 28, 2011, 05:46:07 AM »
Designed them tonight, drew out a template, and picked up the tubing already. Expect to see atleast the start of cutting, grinding, and maybe even some welding tomorrow!

EDIT:ANY comments, of criticism or approval, are welcome and appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:58:53 PM by (B)MX_4-Ever »

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
Re: My Handlebar Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:43:39 PM »
Designed them tonight, drew out a template, and picked up the tubing already. Expect to see atleast the start of cutting, grinding, and maybe even some welding tomorrow!
Sounds cool, you should post the template and design. You may get some valuable feedback, or a bunch of crap. Either way, it should be a good post, lol.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline NOpurpoSE

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
Yes, lets see the design! I'd also like to know what you went with for tubing and where you got it.

Keith

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
Alright guys here is the template. Going to have an 8" rise and 27" width. Both of those can be easily changed. The bottom bar is 4" wide, and the crossbar will be 7" wide. Its going to have 0 sweep in any direction. Most of these dimensions can be fairly easily modified.

I am using 7/8"OD x .063"(sidewall) steel tubing. I looked it up and most companies use the same dimensions (well, .065" sidewall...but .002 shouldn't make or break this). However, they use 4130 chromoly, which Benner Metals, the metal supplier near me, doesn't have that. So I am going with regular steel right now. I can, if this turns out pretty good, order 4130 online.

Anyway, here is the template.

(the reason for the err...sloppiness..is I just wanted to change the rise and width slightly after drawing it with a sharpie hahah)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:06:13 PM by (B)MX_4-Ever »

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
You do realize that .063" steel tubing is not as strong as .063" chromoly tubing, right? To match the strength of .063" 4130 tubing you need to up-size the wall thickness of the mild steel.

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
You do realize that .063" steel tubing is not as strong as .063" chromoly tubing, right? To match the strength of .063" 4130 tubing you need to up-size the wall thickness of the mild steel.

That I honestly did not think of..

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
Yeah, that's why mild steel or tri-moly bikes are so damn heavy. Cut one up and check out the wall thickness of the tubes they use.  ;D

You could always make a "full sized model" out of steel and see how you like them. Learn the manufacturing procedures, etc. on cheap, heavy tubing. If you like the way they turn out, order some 4130 and build a real pair to ride.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:07:21 PM by stuntnuts »

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »
Yeah, that's why mild steel or tri-moly bikes are so damn heavy. Cut one up and check out the wall thickness of the tubes they use.  ;D

You could always make a "full sized model" out of steel and see how you like them. Learn the manufacturing procedures, etc. on cheap, heavy tubing. If you like the way they turn out, order some 4130 and build a real pair to ride.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Build sorta a "prototype" out of cheap stuff to just get the job done and see if I even have the fabrication skills needed. I'll still build them and post the here.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »
This thread is kind of new, but I expected a lot more crap to be thrown at you by now! haha

Have fun, it should be a cool experience.

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 04:21:44 AM »
This thread is kind of new, but I expected a lot more crap to be thrown at you by now! haha

As did I haha. Made some good progress today. I think people are just waiting for pictures of fail or something to commence the sh*t slinging?

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:01:09 AM »

As did I haha. Made some good progress today. I think people are just waiting for pictures of fail or something to commence the sh*t slinging?
I like them:) Good prototypes. Fail or not, you tried, which is more than most. Keep working homie!
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 05:17:49 AM »
I dont think anyones going to hate, not many feel confident enough to think about tackling such a task.

Admirable your determined to build your own. I look forward to seeing more about this, I just finnished up a few key purchases needed for this exact project. I will help as much as I possiby can while learning along the way.

Offline matt thomas

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »
you cant worry about what others will think or say. make what YOU want, how YOU want. its more productive than sitting around bad mouthing other peoples products. now go get to work!

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 03:29:19 AM »
look like a bigger verson of the goodtimes bars,looks well id deffo buy them if you got em made up
Keep it flat!

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Pretty much finished. Just needs a little cleanup.

Ill get the final specs, as well as some up close pics of my welds later. Im pretty happy with the overall result.

Let me know what yal think.