Author Topic: A New Breed of Flatland Riders  (Read 9046 times)

Offline MarylandFlat

• Hitchhiker
A New Breed of Flatland Riders
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »
I stopped riding flaltand in 1998 and I have been back at it for 9 months. Since I was gone the sport has changed in an amazing way. In 1997 I thought Chase G was the only flatlander to ride brakeless. Now I am blown away to see people ordering  a DK opsis removing both brakes (and maybe the crank too) learning a halflash, steamroller and hitchhiker in that order! There are riders now who learn whiplashes and time machines before they even try a front yard. It seems to me that with forums like global-flat riders are networking more than ever  and helping each other to progress faster than ever. What are your thoughts on this new breed of rider and the evolution of this sport?

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
Re: A New Breed of Flatland Riders
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
what the hells a front-yard
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline ondo

• GF Inhabitant
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:59:54 AM »
What are your thoughts on this new breed of rider and the evolution of this sport?

It's okay if using some common sense.

by A.Kun himself
FLATLAND TIPS (FRONTYARD) Small | Large

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Old fool on an old tool
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »
I think the level of progression these days is incredible, and it's great to see more 'kids' getting into flat.  Bike set-up seems to be down to individual taste, with street bikes being used alongside 'traditional' flat designs...  YouTube and Vimeo have played a huge part too... you can watch complex moves over and over until you get them dialled.

From the turnout at comps just in the UK, it's definitely growing, and this can only be a good thing!
More off than on, but still loving it! Flatland until you can't!

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:18:29 AM »
What are your thoughts on this new breed of rider and the evolution of this sport?

by A.Kun himself
FLATLAND TIPS (FRONTYARD)

This video always seem weird to me since traditionally you take off the other hand. Oh well.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:30:28 AM »
It's not that unbelievable really if you think about it. You probably started around the same time that I did and the first trick I learned that was in any way impressive was a fire-hydrant. I remember ignoring the magazine that said it was a "hard" level trick. By 98 a fire-hydrent was absolutely a foundational trick.

Still it is impressive and a bit daunting. I have pretty much settled on just having fun and who cares if my style looks out of date or whatever, but I have to admit, I hate the feeling that my riding is "out of touch" too.

I personally think the brakeless thing is more about trend and less about the progression that Chase was after. I also think a lot of people just don't want to learn how to maintain brakes and get them to work right.

How the internet has changed things is really cool though and I am loving that part of it.

I like these new guys, as long as they respect us old guys for paving the way. From what I have experienced here, guys that ride flat haven't changed all that much. It's still about progressing, and having fun and being a good friend to your fellow riders. That's why I always rode anyway: the friends and the fun.

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:47:28 AM »

by A.Kun himself

This video always seem weird to me since traditionally you take off the other hand. Oh well.

Well, not only that, but that's not a frontyard, it's a freak squeak   :P

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 06:05:24 AM »

by A.Kun himself

Well, not only that, but that's not a frontyard, it's a freak squeak   :P

Is this where I say and it's not a "half lash" its and"ashtray to baby-face?" lol ;)

Offline black aspirin

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 06:09:38 AM »
It is amazing how much riders accomplish at such an early age now, I'm truly in awe.  I attribute part of it to the mere fact that riding has come such a long way in general, that simply knowing how much is possible makes it more attainable...once someone else has done it, and you see it a lot...it goes a certain distance toward your confidence in achieving it.  Does that make sense? 

Still, wow.

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 06:23:39 AM »
It is amazing how much riders accomplish at such an early age now, I'm truly in awe.  I attribute part of it to the mere fact that riding has come such a long way in general, that simply knowing how much is possible makes it more attainable...once someone else has done it, and you see it a lot...it goes a certain distance toward your confidence in achieving it.  Does that make sense? 

Still, wow.

Makes total sense man, and I agree 100%.

Offline hardrocker950

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 06:43:58 AM »
Yes, things have changed a lot in the past several years. The internet has become one of the most useful tools for any freestyle rider of any discipline. not only does this bring endless videos to study, but also communication. Sites like this one are beyond a price tag - communication with riders across the globe was almost unheard of 15 years ago. The other HUGE thing that the internet has to offer riders - easier access to parts! I remember having to wait for the magazines, look through them for something that resembled what you wanted, calling to make sure they actually had it, sending out the money order, waiting 2-3 weeks, and finally getting your order. It is much simpler now!

Technology has supplied us as riders with more opportunity in many ways. I am thankful for these things!  ^_^

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 07:43:18 AM »
Is this where I say and it's not a "half lash" its and"ashtray to baby-face?" lol ;)

Congratulations!  You are officially old like me.

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 08:17:25 AM »

That's right! Now where is my walker. Hay you dang kids! Get off my lawn! lol

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »
Hay you dang kids! Get off my lawn! lol
^_^
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »

That's right! Now where is my walker. Hay you dang kids! Get off my lawn! lol

this is pretty much all I read whenever most old guys come on here tbh. that or something like "back in the day bikes were PERFECT we literally rode bikes made by the elves before they f*cking left middle earth they were things of beauty WHY DOES NOBODY SCUFF ALL YOUR RIDING IS UGLY NO GRRHHFHAHF" or something like that.