Author Topic: Clashes between work and flatland energies  (Read 4815 times)

Offline dereketheRED

• Funky Chicken
  • Derek
Clashes between work and flatland energies
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
Anyone else out there have a physical job that drains their energy for flatland? Before I started work I had all this energy that would just pour itself into learning new tricks; now I have a job which actually involves pedalling a heavy bike up and down steep hills.. sometimes if I get too into flatland, I find I'm overexerted and end up getting sick.

I'm considering starting studying, I imagine it'll come right after that happens but in the meantime it sucks.

Can I get some comiseration? Or just continue the blues story if you like..

:angry:                                                                  :angry:                                             :angry:

Offline Alex Worden

• Hitchhiker
Re: Clashes between work and flatland energies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
I had the same feeling when I was still in high school. I worked for my uncle doing construction site clean up. That didn't last long, I was to tired to do anything but sit when I got home.

After undergrad I told myself I would work at a firm at a desk and I would have more energy to ride. Turns out that wasn't the case. I ended up working 70 hours a week, had immense back pain and was to tired after driving 25 miles to work and back from work to ride that day.

Though, the office job did get me some great experience and helped me get into grad school (where I have done a lot of riding) but Its all about priorities man.

Almost a decision between two evils.

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »
Are you a bike courier? That's not a good job if you plan to do more riding for fun afterwards. Also the pay is pretty terrible and you've very little freedom. I'd recommend studying. If you want to ride a lot work towards a career where you'll have time. I want to ride and travel a lot so I became a teacher. I can work anywhere and have enough time and money to do what I want.

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Old fool on an old tool
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:14:20 PM »
Ahh... the good old work/life balance.  It's always a bugger balancing work and play, especially with a family too.  I try and ride at least twice a week when I can, having an understanding wife, and not too demanding job.  It can be tricky feeling motivated to ride when work/home's taken it out of you, but I always feel better after a good flat session... even half-an-hour makes a difference.
More off than on, but still loving it! Flatland until you can't!

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »
Ahh... the good old work/life balance.  It's always a bugger balancing work and play, especially with a family too.  I try and ride at least twice a week when I can, having an understanding wife, and not too demanding job.  It can be tricky feeling motivated to ride when work/home's taken it out of you, but I always feel better after a good flat session... even half-an-hour makes a difference.

Yeah agreed. 30mins is all it takes sometimes. Especially if you're not doing other exercise. At the moment I'm riding 30mins a day during the week. Got no time for anything else. Might hold off on the children!!!

Offline cunners

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 06:11:09 PM »
going self employed wos the best thing i ever done, can manage my time so much better, can get two hours in every day and still earn decent money, anyone who can should its well good

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »
Here's my solution....

Practice at work
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies

Offline 5hane 2.0

• Backpacker
  • 1yr. + riding
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 02:46:54 PM »
I'm usually pretty tired after work, so what I do is eat a really healthy meal with a little coffee and go online and watch a few flatland videos and just chill for an hour or two.  No matter how tired I am this usually gets me pumped to go ride.  If not then I definitely need a break from riding.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 06:17:06 PM »
Luckly I have a Job (Graphic designer) That allows me to leave at lunch everyday and ride then. Somedays I ride for 1-1/2 hours during my lunch....my boss could care less as long as my work is done.
When I get home from work all my time is dedicated to my family.  :beer:

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »
i work at a jimmy johns. i can't say that detracts from my riding really. school does a lot though, between college apps, portfolio stuff, AP classes, NHS, etc., i basically have to choose between hanging out with friends and riding, which is a hard choice to make. sometimes i just feel like sitting at home and riding and listening to music.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »
Well, I have been thinking about this a lot lately.  Seems like I am constantly tired...I wear myself out everyday.  I have a physically demanding job, plus I work out(Yoga, weights...blah, blah, blah) and ride a bicycle for transportation.  You just have to find balance man.  I get to ride about three times a week, for a few hours at a time.  Eat right, get plenty of sleep and just try to take care of yourself.  Your energy will get better.  My girlfriend suggested to me to make a list of things that you do...prioritise.  I skip my workout sometimes so that I can go ride. 

Keep truckin!
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
I try to remember one thing only as said before my mother passed away, "whatever you do never stop biking". I think about what can result, if I don't. Does not matter what bike or riding.
20mins-life or death?

N
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE