Author Topic: Odyssey Chase Gouin bars  (Read 5528 times)

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Odyssey Chase Gouin bars
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »
Anybody rocking these?? Are they strong? I've just noticed my Bram bars have cracked on both side's so time for a change... I got the cash, just want a little feedback. Cheers ;D

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Odyssey Chase Gouin bars
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:53 PM »
wouldnt personally ride them due to strength issues but i do believe chase and odyssey have since addressed the issue.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
What metal said. I cracked two pairs of them and I didn't have either all that long. Both cracked at the grip tube where it meets the cross bar and quite a few have had the same issue. I'm waiting for the new batch to come out before I send my bars in though because I believe that they strengthened the area significantly since the first production models.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »
Is there any way of telling wich are the old and wich are the new batch?? I was also looking at the Colony Cube bars as they have a similar shape but i can't find them for sale in zero sweep (in the uk) They any good? ;D :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline B flat

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:29:24 AM »
the odyssey bars with backsweep get bented i saw a lot but the other ones are good and strong because my friends use them for street and they said that works perfect (sorry for my english im from chile)

Offline flatlandpercy

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:10:20 AM »
I had some that featured a new design change, basically a little different
where the bottom attaches to the side tubes, and different attach to the
cross bar as well.  Busted them nevertheless.  Maybe they modded the
bars mid-stream?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:11:57 AM by flatlandpercy »

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
Are Terry Adams flatware bars similar? And are they out to buy.... You guys can guess the style im after, im open to suggestions?

Offline MIKE EVANS

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »
 I've just noticed my Bram bars have cracked on both side's so time for a change...Cheers ;D
[/quote]
I have a friend that is running the Chase bars. He won them in Athens earlier this year so I dont know what batch they could be from. He rides hard everyday and no problems. Then again, I would trust both TJ and Percy on their words on these as Ive seen their riding. So Im guessing its kind of a crap shoot with those bars. As far as the Terry bars, the height is close but they are very narrow in comparison, but if you cut your bars anyhow.....

There are a couple pairs of Terry bars at a good price in the market place. Ive another friend that runs those bars and has had no problems, BUT he is not a very hard rider at all.

Hey bro, a little off topic, but where did your Bram bars break? I noticed what may be a crack in the weld where the "clamping tube" meets the "uptube" for lack of a better description. It may just be a scratch, I cant really tell for sure. I may jus be paranoid after finding the break in my frame.

Thanks in advance,

MIKE

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:05:28 PM by Back4Good »
Formerly Known As Back4Good. (all the talk about people hiding behind screen names prompted me to change.)

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
Hey bro, a little off topic, but where did your Bram bars break? I noticed what may be a crack in the weld where the "clamping tube" meets the "uptube" for lack of a better description. It may just be a scratch, I cant really tell for sure. I may jus be paranoid after finding the break in my frame.

Yep... Same place! I will post a pic as soon as i can, i have been learning hitch hickers so im guessing that has made them break? I loved then but just want a change now

Offline JamesRMcLean

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 02:12:31 AM »
I have the Bayou bar and I think it's the Terry Adams model. I have learned backwards hitchhikers and hang 5s and am working on forwards hitchhikers, so I've slammed my bars from all angles. I'm pretty careful with my bike when I can be, but I've ridden it pretty hard - no breaks so far. These bars are great in my opinion, I run flatware bar stem and fork and it's solid.

katobmx

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 06:26:21 AM »
Chase bars have hands down some of the greatest geo. they just lack in strength

Offline MING

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:53:55 PM »
I have the terry bars and they are so comfy straight away. Ive had no probs with them at all. I know the Chase bars feel real big as Alex has them on his bike still nice though.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
i rode the chase bars for a short time. i loved there geo but..while i didnt break them i didnt like the fact that if i slammed and tweaked them that they could break off like everyone elses.i hope they resolve it though

Offline MIKE EVANS

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 08:26:06 AM »

Yep... Same place! I will post a pic as soon as i can, i have been learning hitch hickers so im guessing that has made them break? I loved then but just want a change now
Yeah, I imagine that could definitely be it. (The hikers that is) Ive been learning to pump and turbine the hitchhikers so Im sure if mine are indeed cracked, its probably from the bars hitting the ground same as you.

DAMNIT!!! I really like those bars. Oh well, Ive also been thinking bout going to something different. Maybe with a little backsweep and a little wider. Mine are cut VERY narrow and it just seems wider bars give a little bit better leverage in moving the bike around.

Let us know what bars you decide on.

MIKE
Formerly Known As Back4Good. (all the talk about people hiding behind screen names prompted me to change.)

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Well, ive just brought myself the chase bars and will fit them 2moro.... I will write a review on them including my experiences... Thanks all (Ming... we got to hook up again soon! And bring Alex) ;D