Author Topic: The big tire thread  (Read 6265 times)

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
The big tire thread
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:24 PM »
So does anyone else ride big tires these days?  Anything more than 1.75s?  I love to carve fast with the skinny tires but you stay on way, way better on 1.8s or 1.9s.  Thoughts? 

Offline animal1

• Backpacker
  • PEG MOLESTER
Re: The big tire thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:56 PM »
I rode 2.1's for quite a while.  I'm at 1.75 now.
BALANCE CONTROL

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
I ride 1.85s....i see no benefit in 1.75 except for maybe weight. I can spin just as fast.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
I think everyone that was around when the V-Monster hit the market started running 1.95's... the 1.75 revolution more or less came when Chase dropped the Frequency-G on the market and everyone with fond memories of the RL Tires went back in size. I used to run a 1.85 on the front and a 1.75... now I'm 1.75 up front and back. The 1.85 seems to affect me badly when changing directions during spins/turbines; bigger contact patch feels too slow.

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
1.85 Freq G's f&B. Not too skinny, not too fat.
Flat-ism

Offline sbroflatland

• Cliffhanger
  • ga_goosh
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:45:44 PM »
the 1.75 revolution more or less came when Chase dropped the Frequency-G on the market and everyone with fond memories of the RL Tires went back in size.

thats probably it. if i could only find some NOS for a reasonable price and if they were made in black wall i would be in flatland heaven lol

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »
Wilhelm uses the 1.9 khe tires I believe.  Scott Powell uses 2.1 Peregrines still. 

I find the 1.75 G's to feel more stable than the 1.85s!  Why?  well the narrower tires are also not as tall and they tend to take less of a lean to carve a circle so you are less likely to wash out on slippery surfaces than with the fatter G's.  Also the spacing of the tread being tighter tends to grip your shoe a little better IMO.

Brian

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »
I've gone back and forth over the years.  But it's funny how in the mid 90's, the big Primo Vs came out and everyone said "hey, those RL tires suck.  They're too small and the sidewalls blow out too easy.  Ride these instead."  So we did.  Then years later, everyone decided just the opposite, and now it's getting hard to find big flatland tires. The same thing happened with pegs.  I'd love to find a modern pair of pegs (that doesn't cost $140 for four - I'm looking at you Tree) that's the dimensions of the old Day Smith pegs - 4.5 long, 1.75" diameter.  10-15 years ago that's ALL you could find, because the general consensus was that anything smaller was too small.  Apparently we were all either wrong or all changed our minds at the same time.....     

Offline david hasselhoff

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
i run 2.1 g's but thats because i ride street as well so it doesn't beat the hell out of my wrist as much

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »
I've gone back and forth over the years.  But it's funny how in the mid 90's, the big Primo Vs came out and everyone said "hey, those RL tires suck.  They're too small and the sidewalls blow out too easy.  Ride these instead."  So we did.  Then years later, everyone decided just the opposite, and now it's getting hard to find big flatland tires. The same thing happened with pegs.  I'd love to find a modern pair of pegs (that doesn't cost $140 for four - I'm looking at you Tree) that's the dimensions of the old Day Smith pegs - 4.5 long, 1.75" diameter.  10-15 years ago that's ALL you could find, because the general consensus was that anything smaller was too small.  Apparently we were all either wrong or all changed our minds at the same time.....     

I used to run 1.75 Fly pegs a few years back until I moved my sequence pegs from the rear to the front and bought some suelo magnesiums for the rear. I noticed that when I was riding a heavier bike, the larger pegs felt more comfortable, like it gave me more of a surface area for my feet to control. With the smaller pegs and a lighter bike though it feels wayyy more stable and "precise". I think it has more to do with weight than anything.

I used to run larger tires too, but smaller tires make any kind of barflip/whip tricks much easier since there is less resistance with the tire to the ground.

Offline joshh

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
I really like 2.0 tires. They provide good traction and stability in my opinion. The new Premium Refuse/Resist tires are pretty nice.

Offline Leone4130

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 05:16:02 AM »
1.85 Freq G's f&B. Not too skinny, not too fat.

+1
Me too

Offline JoeyBuksar

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:57:22 AM »
I really like 2.0 tires. They provide good traction and stability in my opinion. The new Premium Refuse/Resist tires are pretty nice.

These are good tires, cheap and lite...I have the 2.25 on my street bike....these tires blow up to
2.40...MASSIVELY HUGE!!

I run 2.1 demolition tires on my flat bike..I feel with skinny tires and wide bars, its feels weird....If I ran skinny tires, I would go with the smallest bar width I could find..

What I would like is flat bars with the geo they have now with a 9-10 inch rise. Im tall...I dont like the way a bike feels with.spacers under the stem..

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
Used to ride 2.1" and 1.95" BITD...currently riding the 1.85"s that came stock on the Opsis,but wanting to try some 1.75".
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline davepaterson

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:55 PM »
I ride 2.3 Fit FAF's front and rear, however thats because i ride a street setup and i love jump off sh*t to flat so much that my wrists burn :D