Author Topic: handicap in flatland?  (Read 9339 times)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
handicap in flatland?
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
  So does anyone know someone who rides flatland that is a amputie? 
  fingers, arms, foot, hand anything like that...Be pretty tough to do a hang 5 or dorkwheelie  any trick for that matter,  I would think.  Also do you think if he or she performed in any flatlalnd event would get "special attention" and or win in there class?
   just thinking about that today.

Hey Meg...check this out.

byke

Re: handicap in flatland?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »
There was a1 legged racer kid many moons ago in BMX plus ... that impressed me.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »
Funny you post this. I was ranting on another forum, I do animal physical therapy, and a sled dog that was perfectly able was pulled from comp last week for only having 3 legs:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Small | Large
I wrote, in theory, that I would still try and ride and if someone tried to take that away from me that it would damage my mind and physical ability greatly. People and animals overcome many things and I would not think, within reason, missing a hand, foot, finger ext would completely stop you from riding. It would only challenge you to do more or different things on your bike.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »
Matt Gilman (LVSR on here) is a blind trials rider (and he rides some flatland, too). And no, I'm not kidding!

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=27858

http://www.blindbiketrials.com/www.blindbiketrials.com/Home.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7FlQhDihM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV56DLx5QZ8[/youtube]
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:00:32 PM »
dino jeffers from ireland is deaf and hes a sick flat rider

Offline Ginman

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »

i dont believe he is ZERO DEAF in that case..
You cannot balance that well without hearing..
it is the work of the vestibuloccochlear nerve in our ear that makes us able to balance..

i think he could be deaf, but not FULLY deaf...

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »

it is the work of the vestibuloccochlear nerve in our ear that makes us able to balance..

Sorry but that is false.
then everyone that is deaf would be falling down all the time...they wouldn't be able to walk!
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline Flo

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty deaf but I can still ride. The only thing that really sucks is when your riding the streets and cars pass you by. One time I did a trick and landed on my arse while a car came closer and almost hit me ghehe.

Offline Nails

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »
Matt Gilman (LVSR on here) is a blind trials rider (and he rides some flatland, too). And no, I'm not kidding!

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=27858

http://www.blindbiketrials.com/www.blindbiketrials.com/Home.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7FlQhDihM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV56DLx5QZ8[/youtube]

this is the single most inspiring video i have ever watched
still learning

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »

Sorry but that is false.
then everyone that is deaf would be falling down all the time...they wouldn't be able to walk!

Our hearing and balance are linked. When you spin in circles you get dizzy and lose your balance because you upset the fluids inside your hearing region. I'd say deaf people have less balance, not none. ;)

Offline Flo

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »

Sorry but that is false.

Our hearing and balance are linked. When you spin in circles you get dizzy and lose your balance because you upset the fluids inside your hearing region. I'd say deaf people have less balance, not none. ;)

I get what your saying but it depends on how the person got deaf in the first played. With me it's unknown in the fluids region a connection isnt made. With some others it's the tympanic membrane. It's true that when people turn from hearing to deaf they can have balancing problems but when your born deaf it's not.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
I get what your saying but it depends on how the person got deaf in the first played. With me it's unknown in the fluids region a connection isnt made. With some others it's the tympanic membrane. It's true that when people turn from hearing to deaf they can have balancing problems but when your born deaf it's not.

I was trying to help explain to Rawchild, see below. ;)

Sorry but that is false.

Offline Concrete Ninja

• Funky Chicken
  • Ninja flipping Ninja spinning
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »
While its true that balance is moderated by a membrade in the cochlia (the snail shaped dohicky in yer ear) the balance mechanism is seperate from hearing. People who are deaf could have problems in their vistibular membrane, auditory nerve, or auticory center in their brain but the balance mechanism will be uneffected. The way it works is a lot like a bubble in liquid level that they use in construction, but again, its seperate from the hearing part of your ear. :)
Just Ride

Offline Dino Jeffers

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 02:27:56 PM »
Yeah I am hearing-impaired with my hearing aids wear. I'm not handicap. Lots of deaf people not like this handicap or dumb.

Hearing & Deaf same is normal.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »
I remember seeing a guy at York jam that had some sort of disparity in length between his two legs and he had to have his shoes made with special soles so that one was thicker than the other. He was pretty damn good if I remember correctly too but I don't remember his name.