Author Topic: Good God :(  (Read 7097 times)

Offline bmx4lif3

• Cliffhanger
  • So-Cal
Good God :(
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:14:40 AM »
There are about 4.2 million of these threads floating around but I just wanted to rant,
Ive just began to see where BMX can take a person, and I have been in love with the sport since the day I asked this kid to help me with some yard work and afterwords he invited me to go ride, I did and fell for it right away!

Sadly 2 years down the road (today) I have been straying from the path of BMX enlightenment,
I have become rather not bored but lonely when I ride and there for it becomes boring because there is no one to talk to, socialize with, or communicate with when I ride. I first viewed this sport as a new social environment for me to join, but since I practice the arte of "Flatland" None of the riders, except a select few, will ride or even talk to me (dumb f*ckin highschool sh*t) anyways these riders who do talk to me or ride with me have been slowly dissappering, either because of their houses foreclosing or just lost interest which is happening to me.. Its hard to just go out and ride when I could go hangout with my friends..

Ugh.. help :(
I dont know what the problem is but if you have a solution to my thread, it is welcome!

Offline Bring The Lulz

• Funky Chicken
Re: Good God :(
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 02:31:47 AM »
Post in the rider hookup section. Maybe try to set up like a weekly riding club or something where you guys can meet like every weekend  . Im sure some people will get on board.
Hopefully something works out for you.  ^_^ (just an idea) I would try to help more if i was in your area. ;D

Offline Bring The Lulz

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:33:11 AM »
Or try to get some existing friends into flatland.

Offline PMA!

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 02:40:07 AM »
I've ridden alone all my years of flatland, soon to be 6 years....

I have come to enjoy it; I ride better alone, I get more focused, more into the "zone", and progress more.

I have often chosen not to go to a party or other social event and gone riding in stead. This has taught me a lot of things; I now function better when alone and I like my own company. I think this is a really important aspect in life.

Seriously; If you cant cope with doing your hobby in solitude, maybe it was not meant for you? I do not mean to be rude.

Offline sackley85

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 02:46:01 AM »
Yea, try to get some new people together, but also think of it as "you" time. I'm still pretty new but I've never ridden with anyone... so I can't really give an unbiased opinion.

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 03:32:09 AM »
I always ride alone, but im in san luis obispo  :P
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

katobmx

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 03:49:09 AM »
Im ride by myself all the time thats why i decided to compete in voodoo jam and try to organize a jam, I'm also teaching a kid flatland.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:50:53 AM by katobmx »

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:48:39 AM »
I feel you man, I mostly ride alone, and it kinda sucks.  It helps a lot to ride in more public places, where little kids and random people are around to talk to sometimes.  I just ride during the day and party at night.  Nobody I know ever wants to get off their asses before 9 PM anyway, and riding beats watching TV or sitting at the computer.  It's also possible that it's your fault that nobody wants to ride with you, in which case you have yourself to blame.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 07:54:16 AM »
Yeah, you might be in the wrong sport if you mind solitude too much.  I always used flatland as an escape. Flatlanders are notoriously "loners" by nature.

You could always take up street riding too.  Ride some street with friends(surely there is someone that rides street around) and ride some flatland every so often.  When I was "coming up" people tended to ride everything.  Ride some flat...go out ride the streets...on over to the ramp, and ride some more.   Don't be afraid to mix it up some.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ondo

• GF Inhabitant
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »
I've ridden alone all my years of flatland, soon to be 6 years....

I have come to enjoy it; I ride better alone, I get more focused, more into the "zone", and progress more.

I have often chosen not to go to a party or other social event and gone riding in stead. This has taught me a lot of things; I now function better when alone and I like my own company. I think this is a really important aspect in life.

Seriously; If you cant cope with doing your hobby in solitude, maybe it was not meant for you? I do not mean to be rude.

Said it perfect.

When everything else fails, you still have riding.

But when it gets boring, it isn't mainly because you don't like what you're doing, mainly it is because you can't live with yourself. That's right. You aren't happy about everything and enjoying it, so you can't stand being alone with yourself- everything seems boring and you want to get away, you want entertainment. No worry, that's what nowadays it's all about.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 02:27:37 PM »
 Hell I enjoy riding alone that's just what I do... put some music on the IPod just veg out in my own world. I'd much rather ride alone than have anyone around to be honest!

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
find like a half hour a day to just "practice" so you don't have to give it up to be social.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:59:06 PM »
It's amazing how many Flatlander's ride alone!! Me included, my mate's don't take any interest at all so i don't have anybody i can talk flat with other than on here... But it seems such a shame that it put's many people off the sport! I often think "whats the point" But i also want to master it sooooo badly that i refuse to give up just cos i ride alone. Best advice i can give is listen to music that motivate's you and watch a flatland DVD or You Tube b4 you go out... Often helps me remember why i want it so bad...  ;D
Keep the faith my flatland brother, you are not alone... We are with you in spirit.... ;)

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »
dude, your practice list of tricks should be enough to keep ya entertained.  maybe set up a bit of a routine: warm up tricks, followed by dialed tricks, then move onto new tricks.  i've always used headphones and try to change up my music all the time. and lots of caffeine!  it's good to have friends, but even if they're  out riding you should be practicing hard and doing your own thing.  how many times do the socialites go out for three hours and ride for 15 minutes?

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:18 PM »
Hey bro, I feel you... When I started it was me and about 5-6 guys who rode street, ramps, flatland and mostly dirt jumps.  2 guys moved away, 2 got messed up on drugs and 1 just lost interest.  So there I was, left to ride by myself.  Every now and then some of my friends would be sober enough to hit the dirt jumps.  I started getting serious into BMX which resulted in me getting hurt more.  I freely admit I am a big baby and was sick of having jacked up shoulders and knees.  I always rode flat and when injured I gravitated towards it more and more.  Then the skatepark closed, dirt jumps went to hell and at the same time flatland began to consume me.  I then bought a Standard Shaman and souped it up 90% flatland.  I broke down and got an EP complete with a freecoaster and never rode street or dirt or ramps since.  Also, I haven't rode with anyone in my town since. 

What you need to do is start getting used to riding alone but at the same time hit up some comps or jams!  I try to hit up the guys in Hamilton a few times a year.  Also, hit up some of the jams/comps and even if you don't compete you can ride and hang.  I have met sooo many awesome people through flatland, yet I ride alone on the daily!