Author Topic: Stiff Rim that works well with tires like the Ares A-Class  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
Stiff Rim that works well with tires like the Ares A-Class
« on: December 26, 2020, 05:24:27 AM »
I've been wanting to switch back to the Ares A-Class tires but have had issues with them on my Ody Hazard Lite rims (they have slipped off and ruined tires and tubes). I really like how stiff the Ody rims are though. I tried a more narrow Alienation (Malice I believe) rim that fits tires like the A-Class better. But, the rim doesnt seem to be as stiff as the Hazard Lite rim.

I was thinking about the Sun Envy Rim (since I can find them pretty easily). But, I want to ask here first to see if any of you have had success with those rims. Ive never ridden Sun rims. Are they stiff like the Hazard Lites?

For those running the A-Class... what rim(s) are you using and have you had any issues with the bead slipping.

thanks!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Stiff Rim that works well with tires like the Ares A-Class
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 08:43:41 PM »
Love the Ares on sun Envy's
also try out the RhynoLite XL if you have your doubts still. I know I did on the rear thus I ran the Rhyno for 1-2 years, but must say after switching to Envy on the rear it's solid
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 09:08:20 PM »
awesome, thanks for the input Metal!
Im a bigger guy... 6' and 190 lbs. Would you recommend the Rhynolite XLs over the Envys? Or, in your experience you didn't really notice a stiffness difference?

Also, after researching the rims, it looks like only the black Rhyno's are welded seams. Can you confirm that? I dont think that I want to deal with pinned rims!

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 08:37:48 AM »
envy works great with ares

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 06:29:33 PM »
awesome, thanks for the input Metal!
Im a bigger guy... 6' and 190 lbs. Would you recommend the Rhynolite XLs over the Envys? Or, in your experience you didn't really notice a stiffness difference?

Also, after researching the rims, it looks like only the black Rhyno's are welded seams. Can you confirm that? I dont think that I want to deal with pinned rims!

Hey Timmer yessir, very welcome! I am your exact same dimensions. I was hesitant at first based on the lighter weight of the envy's since I do many whoppers aka hop whips. I can confidently say that since switching to the envy's and probably doing at least 50-100 whoppers on them I haven't heard a peep. That being said, they are not indestructible seeing as how I did crack my front Envy all along the outer circumference over the summer. It lasted years tho so I am not complaining

Based on pinned vs welded: There are 2 versions of the Envy I believe and the heavier version has a welded seam. I refuse to ride a pinned seam as well but I know that Tyler Gilliard was riding the lighter pinned version up front and absolutely killing it on that as well

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 09:40:09 PM »
Thanks for the added input guys! I've ordered some Envy's.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 06:14:19 PM »
Thanks for the added input guys! I've ordered some Envy's.

sweet! keep us posted on your experience with them!

edit: and btw I run 120 psi up front and 110 psi on the rear. I may have had them as high as 130 on the front which could have explained the front rim cracking from wear and tear
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 06:15:54 PM by metalbmxer »

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 03:21:09 AM »
hey hey!
OK, So I got my envy rims and am running them with Box Hex Labs tires. So far I love the rims. They feel great and my Hex labs seem to fit them better than the Hazard Lites. Hex and Ares both like that skinnier rim.

However, I'm finding that I need to tighten my spokes after every session and/or during sessions (basically every hour or so). Is there something special about these rims that I need to know? I find it odd that the eyelets are straight, but when you lace wheels the nipples are angled.

I hardly ever had to tighten my spokes with my Hazard Lites. Sure I'd have to true them every so often.
Any insight would be awesome! Since they're brand new spokes/nipples maybe there's a break in perdiod with the Envy rims that I never had with the Hazards. I also run my spokes pretty darn tight if that makes any difference. Once again, never an issue with the Hazards.
thanks all

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 04:21:21 AM »
hey hey!
OK, So I got my envy rims and am running them with Box Hex Labs tires. So far I love the rims. They feel great and my Hex labs seem to fit them better than the Hazard Lites. Hex and Ares both like that skinnier rim.

However, I'm finding that I need to tighten my spokes after every session and/or during sessions (basically every hour or so). Is there something special about these rims that I need to know? I find it odd that the eyelets are straight, but when you lace wheels the nipples are angled.

I hardly ever had to tighten my spokes with my Hazard Lites. Sure I'd have to true them every so often.
Any insight would be awesome! Since they're brand new spokes/nipples maybe there's a break in perdiod with the Envy rims that I never had with the Hazards. I also run my spokes pretty darn tight if that makes any difference. Once again, never an issue with the Hazards.
thanks all
Haven't had any issues with my Envy rims but my spokes are double butted..I also run box hex tires. They roll super fast.

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 12:58:20 PM »
hey hey!

thanks all
its your spokes.Its not a rim issue

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 08:56:13 PM »
Thanks, Mal. But, what is wrong with my spokes? I run Odyssey spokes (not double butted).... Never had issues with them before... even on my more narrow Alienation rims.What's special/different about the Envy rim (other than the eyelets)?

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 02:08:58 AM »
Should just be them settling in. If the builder used oil on the spoke threads then they might be backing off a bit during the session but not to worry

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 02:51:02 AM »
Thanks for clarifying Metal.

I'm the builder and didn't use any oil. I've just never had this really happen before. Today's session they seemed to stay more stiff. Hopefully, in a couple more they stay put!