Author Topic: Strongest Wheelset  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Rep300

Strongest Wheelset
« on: August 24, 2020, 03:24:09 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm currently building a bike to get back into flatland after 28 years off the bike.

So far, I've got a new Hoffman Big Daddy frame, and a bunch of new school parts that I'm excited about.

To get started, I just grabbed a set of Stolen Rampage wheels with a free coaster in them. However, the plan is to get a set of wheels built to my exact specs.

I just couldn't decide what I wanted at the time so I grabbed the Stolens.

I'm a really big guy, 6' tall, 250lbs, so I want things to be STRONG as f*ck.

I'm thinking 14mm axle front and back (I have a Haro Mega fork that will take a 14mm axle and I love the look of it.)
chrome rims
black hubs and spokes
freecoaster
welded seam

I'm just not sure if I NEED 48s nowadays? I'm told by a lot of the bike shop guys that I don't need 48s and nobody rides them anymore. Do you guys think 36s will be fine if the rims are top notch?

If you were spending to get the best, what would you assemble?

On another note, the Stolens look really cool (chrome rim, black hub and spokes) and maybe all I should do is get a 14mm hub laced into the front? Would save a lot of money.

Let me know.

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
Re: Strongest Wheelset
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 04:21:54 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm currently building a bike to get back into flatland after 28 years off the bike.

So far, I've got a new Hoffman Big Daddy frame, and a bunch of new school parts that I'm excited about.

To get started, I just grabbed a set of Stolen Rampage wheels with a free coaster in them. However, the plan is to get a set of wheels built to my exact specs.

I just couldn't decide what I wanted at the time so I grabbed the Stolens.

I'm a really big guy, 6' tall, 250lbs, so I want things to be STRONG as f*ck.

I'm thinking 14mm axle front and back (I have a Haro Mega fork that will take a 14mm axle and I love the look of it.)
chrome rims
black hubs and spokes
freecoaster
welded seam

I'm just not sure if I NEED 48s nowadays? I'm told by a lot of the bike shop guys that I don't need 48s and nobody rides them anymore. Do you guys think 36s will be fine if the rims are top notch?

If you were spending to get the best, what would you assemble?

On another note, the Stolens look really cool (chrome rim, black hub and spokes) and maybe all I should do is get a 14mm hub laced into the front? Would save a lot of money.

Let me know.
Alienation vandal or felon, GSport Roll cage, or Odyssey AK7 all have reps as super tough

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 05:38:28 AM »
The female axle 3/8 hubs are just as strong as the 14mm axle hubs. That being said I prefer a 14 on back for the 14mm frame slots and a 3/8 Up front for the 3/8 fork slots (read: clean fit, no adapters). Truthfully I’d go with 36 spokes and would recommend a DT spoke over the others, with a brass nipple for a little more support (they already come with brass nipples).

Next you are looking at rims. Anything gsport is amazing or the odyssey hazard lite or 7ka ( for a little more $)

Rhynolite XL are pretty solid for the money and weight (16 oz)

Make sure you get a spoke tensioner tool like the park tools spoke wrench spoke tool as having tight spokes is 90% of a strong wheel
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Rep300

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 05:43:37 AM »
Great info guys.

One reason I want to run a 14mm front axle is because I have a Haro Mega Fork and it has 14mm dropouts. So Im already setup for it.

I do hear that the 3/8 females are just as strong. Only thing is I have a beauty set of big fat 2" diameter 14mm threaded pegs I may use. Haven'd decided yet. But I like the option.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 08:06:54 AM »
Hello rep300, I use 14 mm axles on the front hubs of several bikes and like it. Very strong also in titanium.  ::) 
But it will be very difficult to get such a hub! Female axles are 98 % of the market I guess. I did not really try them but I am quite sure they are much stronger than normal 3/8" axles. I suggest to check the Khe website. They might have 14 mm hubs left.
I use 48 H wheels on my two main bikes and like it, but the 36 H front wheel on another bike with a Odyssey Quadrant rim also feels strong. But I did not use it much you I cannot say if it lasts less.
I would also say you cannot go wrong with a Gsport rim also in 36 H.