Author Topic: tubes always breaking at the base of the valve stem  (Read 11187 times)

Offline sir_teets

• Funky Chicken
tubes always breaking at the base of the valve stem
« on: October 07, 2014, 01:26:12 AM »
9 times out of 10 my tubes go flat because the rubber at the base of the valve stem cracks and blows out.
Is this a problem for most people? I hardly ever have a leak start around the circumference of a tube.

Would moving to presta stems work better? Ive never seen one up close and wonder if the base is better protected.

Ive tried several types of  tubes and even the heavy duty ones with the thick rubber. The rubber round the stem at the base is still thin as the others.

One thing that has helped a little is wrapping the valve stem with teflon tape.

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
Re: tubes always breaking at the base of the valve stem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:40:27 AM »
you sir need rim strip

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
Apart from using a rim strip, this should be the perfect solution for you. these tubes have alloy valve stems like a presta style but in the schrader valve size. Iv'e run these with zero problems. They're also made out of a better rubber compound so they don't lose air as fast. I believe Pete Brandt uses these tubes as well. Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-BMX-Inner-Tubes-Schrader/dp/B00KOMGWQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412664591&sr=8-1&keywords=schwalbe+bmx+tubes

Offline sir_teets

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:57:31 PM »
yea ive always used rim strips. I usually run 2 on each tire since if I dont then the tube will actually hole punch thru the spoke holes and get a flat that way.

Im gonna get a countersink and another drill bit slightly larger and try to open up the hole some. And use more teflon tape since I cant put much on there now because of clearance.

And this isnt just with one type of rim. Ive been thru at least a dozen rims in the last 8 or so years. I did have one that got flats pretty often but turned out that the internal wall was split and was cutting the stem.

Those tube you list are ridiculous expensive. I could buy 5 regular for that.

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:20:46 AM »
Yeah they cost a little more, but the price is for 2 tubes not one. And they're the best. And you won't have to worry about them for a looong time.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
ares has similar product out- and I think they charge close to twice as much...
and presta valves suck at high pressure unless you have a foot pump with a great seal at the valve head; the brass converter for presta to Schrader leaks air like a old geezer farting- non stop, you'll need the converter for petrol kiosk air pumps.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:42:42 AM by K.Wong »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 05:43:02 AM »
Yeah I bought several Ares tubes from FF. They are phenomenal.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
Use electrical tape 2 layers of it use a pen to make a hole were the vaulve hole is in doing this the electrical tape will grip the vaulve going in and wrap around the ebnd of the hole giving u plenty of protection i do all my bikes in it, and id recomend prestas anywhere as they hold the air better for high preassures mate
Keep it flat!

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »
Take a metal file, or some sandpaper, and sand around the edges of the valve hole on the inside. That area sounds like it's sharp, and when you inflate the tire you're putting pressure on what is essentially a blade around the edge of your valve stem.