Author Topic: Cross Handed Steamroller... !?!?!?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline xXMiSs-UniXx

Cross Handed Steamroller... !?!?!?
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »
I am so confused on how to pump and accelerate this Cross Handed Steam Roller trick! I know there has to be someone skilled enough to give me some little pointers! Hahahaha. Right now I'm not worried about the ride-in. That will come later. I just need to know how to pump this trick and keep it going. How do I make faster spins/circles and slower spins/circles?

The trick I am talking about is in this YouTube video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_0BasP7P6U

Any help would be appreciated! Im a newbie to this website. Its my first post lol! :)

Offline locky

• Backpacker
Re: Cross Handed Steamroller... !?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:12:40 AM »
somebody help....

Im a backwheel guy and totally neglected this move but can feel the newbies frustration..

Ive read its like kicking a football , didn't make sence to me yet.. i can ride it and not pump it yet...

i think you need to get to a point where you can roll it without your foot going all over the place.
when  you have the position solid, also to a point where your using balance instead of muscle.
i found with these at first i was really holding the bike hard to keep in position. gradually you find the spot and not so much strength is used. it becomes more balance controlled...

And then start trying to pump it...

Offline xXMiSs-UniXx

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:54 AM »
Thank you for the support and tips! And I can see what you're saying about using strength to balance. I always thought if i locked my arms into place and practiced that way, it would get better, but I guess not. People who know how to do the trick well make it look so easy! Hahahah. I was thinking of neglecting it but I am a front wheel fangirl and I feel im getting so close so I don't want to. Plus this trick is too sick to neglect! :)

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
its a bit of a staple with front wheel combos.

Gotta have it. theres probly a few other tipes of steam you could dial first which may help in getting this
regular hand. switchfoot. inside peg outside peg.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
Hi,
first of all I suggest to search the forum. There have been discussions about this.
I am riding for a lot of years and did a lot of scuffing tricks in the 90s so I am not the typical guy who learned pumping naturally like younger riders do it. But I tried to learn it. Now I can do it "more or less" but I am not fully satisfied. I asked a lot of riders how to do it and 90 % told me "just do it somehow, I can not explain". Nevertheless I will try.
Actually I think it can be done like this (thinking of a cross handed steamroller with the left foot on the peg, right hand on the handlebar, left hand grabbing the seat, so in a curve to the right):
Make the circle a little bigger, meaning turn the handlebar/wheel a little bit to the left (making the wheel more parallel to the frame). At the same time bend your left knee a little bit and let the seat/frame go down a bit. Then turn the bar/wheel back to the right and stretch the knee simultaneously. This has to happen quite fast. At the same time try to lift the seat a bit again.
It might happen that you make the circle very tight pretty quickly, so in addition it is helpful to turn your handlebar a little bit back to the left directly after the pump, but this happend more slowly. The action before has to happen quickly.
I hope this helps and would really like to know if this works for you. Please let us know.
Have fun and be prepared to fall :)

Offline xXMiSs-UniXx

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 07:23:33 AM »
Thank you both for the tips! I have also asked a more experienced rider and he could not thoroughly explain how it works. He said something similar to the person you asked. Something along the lines of "It just comes naturally." or "It just sort of do it." Hahahaha. I've never thought of pushing my handlebars more parallel to my frame (or vise versa) when the time is right to tighten and loosen spins. Ill give it a shot and ill definitely keep trying!

Offline forwardrolling40

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 07:12:45 AM »
this definitly on my tricks to learn list.. i didnt ride for many years and just started riding flat again two years og.. i can pump somewhat normal way but i can hardly even roll switch handed!! i guess its just one of them things you need to keep playing with..