Author Topic: NYB 3/8 hub spoke length  (Read 6284 times)

Offline the duke

• Hitchhiker
  • Word
NYB 3/8 hub spoke length
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:46:59 PM »
So I have always built wheels by tightening the spokes equally once the nipple covered the threads on the spokes.

I feel this won't work now as the flanges are different sizes?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks, Jon

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: NYB 3/8 hub spoke length
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
I just built the 14mm NYB up and equally tensioned every spoke all the way around. No issues. I will say that the first go around, I mistakenly over tightened the first spoke of each cross unintentionally and it really screwed up the tension.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
Spoke length or how to true wheels?
nyb seems to run same size hub shell as nankai, so i did say 184mm ~ 186mm depending on cross lacing pattern and rims- if is in-line or cross-over.

truing wheels: you seriously need a truing stand. evenly tighten your spokes by eye-balling the spoke threads is not very accurate as i 've seen spokes' threads vary by as much as 5mm in length. You might get lateral( side-to-side) within 1mm, but you will never get the dishing( centre line) and radial ( up&down)  inaccuracies by that method.

I've seen a Canadian-based pro level rider asked on this forum why when he flip the front wheel, the rim will rub against the brake pad, while its fine other way around- that's dishing for you. Even the park tool professional truing stand needs to be trued on a yearly basis with a aluminium wishbone guide that cost $100++; most shops can't even be bothered with that.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Good info, but from what I have read in regards to unequal flange size, the minute difference in flange diameters is not enough to affect the wheel.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)