Author Topic: Mark Webb Flatland Session  (Read 11924 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Mark Webb Flatland Session
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:08:36 AM »

Right before knee surgery in France, 
Mark Small | Large
 had one last session - suprisingly, all flatland riding.

Let's hope he's back on the bike soon. 

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
Re: Mark Webb Flatland Session
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »
Very cool.

Offline enter1

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 10:03:16 PM »
Ok, so street and park riders are riding flat.  So flatlanders need to branch out also and ride some street and park.  Many benefits technique wise and also bridges the gap flatlanders have created by staying in their discipline.  I believe one of the reasons flatland isn't growing is because it alienates itself from other disciplines.  More crossover means more interest in flatland.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:06:02 AM »
Ok, so street and park riders are riding flat.  So flatlanders need to branch out also and ride some street and park.  Many benefits technique wise and also bridges the gap flatlanders have created by staying in their discipline.  I believe one of the reasons flatland isn't growing is because it alienates itself from other disciplines.  More crossover means more interest in flatland.

I hate riding street and park. So no.

Phatman

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »
I'm REALLY not Mark Webbs greatest fan, i wont go into details it's not for this site. BUT.. I got to admit he's pretty good. I HATE Park riding, especially the stupid Back Flip Quadruple Tail Whip kinda sh*t Mark Webb is known for I.E Trick Ferret Park Rats!! The majority of Park riders have PISS POOR attitudes too, I have met probably 1 in 10 decent Park Riders. They aren't all bad but the majority of them are! Flatlanders are some of the nicest people i have EVER met & whilst i have ridden Street for the majority of my riding life, I much prefer Flatland!

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »

I hate riding street and park. So no.

Why do you hate street and park? 

Offline justfour

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »
Ok, so street and park riders are riding flat.  So flatlanders need to branch out also and ride some street and park.

Eh?!

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:53:04 PM »
Mark does as much technical stuff as flatlanders do, but 10' in the air and at 25 mph. Is it possible that bugs people a bit?  Personally, I think a skilled rider on a spined mini is one of the most exciting things to see in BMX.  You get relatively high airs, super tech lip tricks, trails style flow across the spine...I'm not sure why someone who's into flatland wouldn't like watching a good mini ramp rider.  I once saw Rob Nolli ride the mini at Stone Edge for a good 2 minutes and never repeated a single lip trick, and Dave Osato was so precise he could nail 270 to toothpicks consistently.  Think about the precision that would take for a minute...   

Offline ride_flat43

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 12:31:52 AM »
You speak as if no flatlander has ever ridden park or street.

Also remember that a street rider who incorporates flat moves learns those tricks during a flat session. Flatlander doing street style tricks doesnt need to ride park to learn them.

Offline ride_flat43

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 12:48:20 AM »
Mark does as much technical stuff as flatlanders do, but 10' in the air and at 25 mph. Is it possible that bugs people a bit?  Personally, I think a skilled rider on a spined mini is one of the most exciting things to see in BMX.  You get relatively high airs, super tech lip tricks, trails style flow across the spine...I'm not sure why someone who's into flatland wouldn't like watching a good mini ramp rider.  I once saw Rob Nolli ride the mini at Stone Edge for a good 2 minutes and never repeated a single lip trick, and Dave Osato was so precise he could nail 270 to toothpicks consistently.  Think about the precision that would take for a minute...   
Oh look, it's D, the flatlander hater. Practically everything you post outside the parts section is anti-flat. The only positive comments you make are in regards to vert and park riders.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:54:59 AM by ride_flat43 »

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
Oh look, it's D, the flatlander hater. Practically everything you post outside the parts section is anti-flat. The only positive comments you make are in regards to vert and park riders.

I wouldn't say that.  I don't think there's one thing I've said that's not true. When street riding was all about riding off of roofs, then yes, there wasn't a whole lot of skill and precision with that involved, more about bravery and pedaling speed.  But modern park riding is every bit as technical as flatland, and when people to claim otherwise just because ramp riders make all the money and get all the attention, it tends to make them look jealous.  Specializing and preferring one type of riding is fine, but I've never understood the undercurrent of "ramp and street has absolutely nothing to do with us." when it's obvious that it does.  Separating from the rest of BMX has been nothing but bad for flatland.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:35:20 PM by D »

Offline ride_flat43

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »

I wouldn't say that.  I don't think there's one thing I've said that's not true. When street riding was all about riding off of roofs, then yes, there wasn't a whole lot of skill and precision with that involved, more about bravery and pedaling speed.  But modern park riding is every bit as technical as flatland, and when people to claim otherwise just because ramp riders make all the money and get all the attention, it tends to make them look jealous.  Specializing and preferring one type of riding is fine, but I've never understood the undercurrent of "ramp and street has absolutely nothing to do with us." when it's obvious that it does.  Separating from the rest of BMX has been nothing but bad for flatland.   
The only comment you've made in regards to an edit recently is of a street rider doing intermediate level tricks. It's very telling that you'd comment on that and not on an edit that's pushing flat to new levels like Quentin Pelorsin's.

And look at your Nora thread message. Instead of giving props to the top flatlanders of the year you bring up a ramp rider.

A lot of what you say about flatlanders is based off of assumption. You say some flatlanders are mad at the world for flat being unpopular, how do you know they werent mad at the world before they ever began riding? You say some flatlanders are worse off after dedicating themselves to flat, how do you know where they'd be if they hadn't ridden flat? Maybe flat kept some people from going off the deep end on drugs.

You also blame flatlanders for flat being unpopular. What exactly are participants of other disciplines doing that flatlanders aren't?

Why do you blame flatlanders for flat being isolated from the other disciplines. You speak as if flatlanders boycotted ESPN and Texas Toast.

All TJ said is that he hates riding street and park. He didn't say he didnt enjoy spectating, didn't make any comparisons or said it took less practice or skill but you immediately went on the defensive. I can't speak for TJ but the reason I would never do that type of riding is the danger invloved.

I don't see why anyone would be jealous. Those park and vert guys earn every cent. I wouldn't risk life and limb for $10 million a year let alone $60k or whatever the average pro makes.

There was a study done on retired NFL players that showed a 3-fold increase of depression in players with a history of  3 or more concussions. Those who have suffered multiple concussions also developed dementia at a higher rate and a younger age compared with the general population. Some ramp-park riders have had as many as 100 concussions which is way beyond the number any NFL player has had.

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »
Maybe flat kept some people from going off the deep end on drugs.
I can't speak for TJ but the reason I would never do that type of riding is the danger invloved. 

X2  :beer: :beer: :beer:

I have to say that 3 years ago i was PRETTY messed up on drugs and booze and on on Oct 15 2010 i brought my 1st flattie which is something ive wanted to do for a long time and by the time xmas 2010 came round i was off the gear and still enjoyed a drink but more so in the street while riding and learning

In december 2011 i was hospitalised with pancreatitis and had to give up the drink for good  >:D  and to be honest i dont know what the f*ck i'd be doing now if i didn't have flat to fall back on

I ride a bit of park and street but as said above i don't go too big or hard as i'm a pussy who's sh*tscared of getting knocked the f*ck out  :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:49:44 AM by melon lover »

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
By the way i do enjoy watching Webbie hit it hard

Any BMX is good BMX

Phatman

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »
I agree with what Melon has touched on. It doesn't take away from how good the actual riding is but weed is RAMPANT in Street riding right now. I know its rampant in the entire f*cking universe atm BUT, Street Riders are glorifying it! It's like you aren't a proper Street Rider if you aren't blazing every session. I have in the past abused Weed A LOT & guess what i was riding?  ::)  When i stopped riding Street to start riding Flat a few years back i gradually stopped the abuse & then smoked for socially for a year or so & then i just never had the time for it. I was dedicated to riding & i didn't need to be high to pull things i wanted to do. Then i stopped riding BMX properly all together because of injury & i honestly cannot touch any form of illegal drug right now because i am on some HEAVY medication & it would probably kill me.

As for alcohol i will NEVER touch it again.. When i was a teenager (At school i might add!) i was a drunk tbh. I used to skip school get drunk, ride my Bike, get high, ride my Bike. It was a horrible place & i had a lot of therapy & dropped the alcohol. I've had one or two glasses of Whiskey at family gatherings since but as mentioned because of the medication i am on i cannot touch anything like that & after all the years not Drinking or Smoking Green, i can honestly say i wont bother when i am off the heavy meds, well if i am ever off them haha.

Flatland to me isn't just riding a Bike it's a way of life. We're like a brotherhood, we look out for each other & motivate each other & right now all i want to do is ride! I don't have time to go out on the lash or get wankered using illegal drugs. All i want to do is get my Autum built, get myself to a point i can ride & get at it!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:30:49 PM by Topsey »