Author Topic: question...  (Read 6623 times)

Offline mad.scientist

• Hitchhiker
question...
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:47:38 AM »
i searched a bit and couldnt find anything... so

can someone tell me whats the diference between g-turn and turbine? or are they the exact same thing?

Offline FreeEnterprise

Re: question...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
A G-turn is a specific trick, front wheel, rider standing on the pedals and whips the bike around and curves going backwards in a "G" shaped spin on the front wheel.

Turbine is any trick spun fast in circles. Also called "spastic" depending on your era of riding.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:17:08 PM by FreeEnterprise »

Offline masonmar

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
Turbines are when you roll forward then backward than forward again. Basically what Sam Folkes does really really good.

Offline masonmar

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
Oops, Foakes, sorry Sam.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »

Turbine is any trick spun fast in circles. Also called "spastic" depending on your era of riding.

Turbine is FWD to backward to FWD again.  Spastic is just tight circles.  Not era, but technique.  Although i've seen Dennis McCoy do spastic Freak Squeaks so fast he actually started to turbine them. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »

Way off

Offline mad.scientist

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:30:09 AM »
so for example here
Game Of BIKE Matthias Dandois vs Terry Adams
in this videos matthias does a combo with a g-turn halfpacker or thats what they called it.. (at the really end minute 8:30) but earlier the do turbine hitchhikers so im confused here on what a turbine (trick) is and what a g-turn (trick) is.... i've read that trubine and g-turn are the same thing but i dont really know i'd like to get the answer for this

Offline Mr.Archon

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 02:58:10 AM »
to my knowledge if you "g-turn" a trick its when your goin forward then you go backwards, BUT not forward again.like this:

http://vimeo.com/4949559

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »

No this is wrong. A turbine is the act of going backwards to forwards to backwards or forwards to backwards to forwards.

Offline Carter M

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »
geez...I can't believe there is this much confusion over those terms...of all the ambiguous terms in flatland, this one is pretty straightforward.

Turbine is that ^^^^^ when you are spinning and let the momentum whip you forwards/backwards/forwards, etc. Changing direction while spinning, in any order, in any trick.

A G turn is a specific trick that (I believe) pre-dates the term "turbine." It could be simple described as a turbined nose wheelie, because you roll forward in a curve, then when the turn tightens up, the nosewheelie whips around and starts rolling backwards (a turbine).

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »
Here is a g turn (my favourite g turn) at 2:20

׍l Small | Large

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
geez...I can't believe there is this much confusion over those terms...of all the ambiguous terms in flatland, this one is pretty straightforward.

If Matthias and Terry are using the term "wrong" in the video, then I don't think there's much hope for the rest of us.

I'm with you, I've never heard it used this way, but who am I to argue?  I see the resemblance and why the term might potentially be used that way, but it's not at all common from what I've seen.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »
Hi,
I agree with the majority here. A turbine means changing the direction of motion in tight circles twice. The g-turn initially described the trick mentioned above, but I think many people just say this when some position is rolled and the dircetion of motion is changed once.
If someone would like to go further: What is it called if someone does a hang five in a tight circle, changes the direction to backwards and then scuffs one time to roll forward again. A turbine? Or does the scuff makes it no turbine?
To be honest: This question was not serious. I think it doesn't really matter...  :)

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »
I thought G-Turn was changing the momentum from forward to backward, and a turbine was changing the momentum from backward to forward.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline flaTTech

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 03:24:04 AM »

G-Turn was originally a specific trick as described previously.  As time went on, to "G-Turn" a trick meant a single switch in direction from forward to backwards, like Mr. Archon said.

Like Tod said, "Spastic" just described fast spinning with tricks that were kicked or scuffed.

I count a single turbine as going "backwards to forwards to backwards" or "forwards to backwards to forwards".  IMO, a turbine can include a foot touching the tire, but the direction of the bike has to change, not just spin.  I personally call turbines without a kick to the tire "no kick turbines"

Sometimes riders will use the term "G-turn" instead of the term "turbine" to describe the same exact same thing, so don't let that confuse you.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:25:35 AM by flaTTech »