Author Topic: New BB or take out old? Removing flatware cranks?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline mnbmxkid1996

• Hitchhiker
New BB or take out old? Removing flatware cranks?
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »
Hey i have a strowler now and upgrading to the waltz v1 frame from ff and the only thing i will need to do is get a bb in the waltz. i have a odyssey one that will work but is it easy to remove the bb from the strowler without damaging it or just buy a new one? i would like to not buy one if i can but whatever needs to be done needs to be done. 

Then my next question is to remove the cranks to move them to the waltz. since there two piece cranks one arm is removed and there is no way you can just pull it out use a hammer and towel over the spindle and tap it out or is there a better way?

Offline paulbrown692000

• GF Inhabitant
    • Revelation BMX
Re: New BB or take out old? Removing flatware cranks?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:02:08 PM »
Dont use the spindle.  I have an old socket extension I use that is long.  And just tap all the way around not just one spot.  And when you put it in the new frame get some anti seeze or grease it good before you install.  BAM your done.  Make sure you have MID BB.

All things in life are temporary. If going well...enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong don’t worry, they can't last long either.

Offline mnbmxkid1996

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »
a 2009 strowler has MID BB right? and ya i was going to use a sprocket extension but what do i use to take out the cranks?

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 02:53:33 AM »
When i buy a new frame i always buy new bb and if i happen to re-sell i include it in sale.I dont have the actual tool to remove em so i dont want to risk damaging Frame or the new bb.
One Last Ride.

Offline mnbmxkid1996

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
ya thats what i was thinking too

Offline Ante

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »
When you are installing a new spanish or mid BB always put some grease or anti seize (that comes with flatware cranks) on the outside of the bearings and into the frame so they don't weld together and use a rubber mallet when installing or removing them. You can also put just a little grease on the inside of the bearings when installing the spindle and cranks, that way you will be able to remove the BB and cranks after years of usage with ease.

I was putting together a new Razzia last week and removed the Flatware cranks and BB in a few minutes after 2 years of riding them with just a few taps of the hammer.

In bike fixing its "Hammer and grease so it slides with ease" :P