Author Topic: One tip for learning tricks  (Read 12856 times)

Offline ckcheong

• Hitchhiker
One tip for learning tricks
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
well...I am a rookie who rode for about 2 years....but i am really furstrating as the tricks are hard as hell
i just suggested everyone to post a little general tips here to help others (actually others means myself)
I start first....
roll slower is easier to catch the feeling of balance

Offline alkis

• Backpacker
Re: One tip for learning tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »
Just enjoy riding,
Thats my  number one rule :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »
Actually I would say this is an awful tip that nobody should follow.

Tell me which is easier: Rolling very slowly on your bike with both feet on the pedals, or rolling at a normal medium speed with both feet on the pedals.

There ya go.

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »
i gotta agree w/ TJ on this one, you don't have to go fast as hell, but going too slow is not the easiest way to learn tricks, i think a medium pace is a good place for beginners.  i believe a minimum of 2 hours of focused practice a day, video-ing one self and having as much fun as this tedious activity allows is your key to success in today's modern, fast paced flatland world.  my mom thinks my 'hobby' would be maddening to do
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:31:02 PM by thestraw »

Offline Cyborg

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
I always like what Chad Degroot said in the Props How To video. If you are having a hard time with a trick, just change something, like different foot, bars backwards, other side of bike, backwards etc. Experimentation leads to success.

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 01:15:50 AM »
i gotta agree w/ TJ on this one, you don't have to go fast as hell, but going too slow is not the easiest way to learn tricks, i think a medium pace is a good place for beginners.  i believe a minimum of 2 hours of focused practice a day, video-ing one self and having as much fun as this tedious activity allows is your key to success in today's modern, fast paced flatland world.  my mom thinks my 'hobby' would be maddening to do

2 hours a day? I have school and tons of homework. I don't feel like doing the same boring stuff over and over 2 hours a day. Maybe in the weekends, but when i have school 1 hour is about enough I guess.

Offline MarylandFlat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »

Tell me which is easier: Rolling very slowly on your bike with both feet on the pedals, or rolling at a normal medium speed with both feet on the pedals.

There ya go.

Tell me which is easier: Rolling very slowly on your bike with both feet on the pedals, or rolling at a normal medium speed with both feet on the pedals

There ya go.
I agree. I've been stuck trying things at a slow speed for awhile. It's hard to get the speed you need to learn a rolling trick especially when you're learning a it from a scuffing trick like learning a halfpacker out of an elephant glide. I kick the elephant glide as hard as I can while still keeping balance, put a foot down on the peg and take a hand off, it takes me six or seven seconds to gain enough control of the halfpacker to grab the tire and go for a backpacker and by that time I'm either out of speed or I roll into the grass. SH*T!!!

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
my tip would be to try to ride for at least 2 hours, as many days of the week as possible. Things come up and you may not always be able to do that, but you should strive for it if you want to have success with flatland. Things just don't really start poppin off until at least 1.5 hours for me. I have to basically triple that if i'm riding with friends, though, due to chatticus and whatnot.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
in other words the math says in order to enjoy a positive flatland growth rate you must invest at least 1/12th (or .0833%) of yourself.

Offline CrazyCajun

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 01:05:48 AM »

2 hours a day? I have school and tons of homework. I don't feel like doing the same boring stuff over and over 2 hours a day. Maybe in the weekends, but when i have school 1 hour is about enough I guess.

So why ride if you think its the same boring stuff?
Here is my tip to you..... Clear you mind of the basics as boring, until you do this you probaly wont move past the basics (the boring stuff)

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »

There ya go.
Quoted for truth..medium and faster speed is best..

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 07:59:50 PM »

Dude, you aren't going to progress with just one hour invested. It usually takes me at least an hour just to warm up and get comfortable.

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »
^ I guess I should consider selling my bike then. I have no clue how you guys can combine that with school, work, homework etc and still be motivated day in day out.

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:10 AM »

Dude, you aren't going to progress with just one hour invested. It usually takes me at least an hour just to warm up and get comfortable.
i have a new technique called don't warm up, just do the hardest things you can right off the bat and don't worry about.  i used to believe i had to warm into e'rything and i was wrong, it's like getting an extra hour of practice.  also, i went to school full time and worked and still rode 3 hours a day and it was never boring,  now i'm stacking flatland cheddar and getting paid, son

Offline The Injured Faith

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »
Date your bike so hard then marry the sh*t out of it.