Author Topic: Progression  (Read 6985 times)

Offline Gabess

Progression
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking for a while and couldn't really figure out anything about that...

What do you guys think can make progression faster than normally? Do you have different technics for the practice, or a certain basis of the trainings during the week?

How would you approach learning a trick? Would you practice it for 5 hours every day, or would try sometimes?

I would really like to learn more about your routines (well if it's not your private secret).

Thanks a lot in advance!
GT

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
Re: Progression
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »
I never work on just one trick/ combo a day. i have ALOT of tricks/ combos i work on and when i just get tired of it i move onto the next trick/combo. i think it helps so u dont get burnt from doing the same thing over and over.

Offline Rushman

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »
Same here; I'm starting out and just trying to get a few basics down but generally I'm mixing up peg wheelies, fork glides and  lard yard's at the minute to try an get the balance going - doing about 2/3 hours a week depending on the British weather  not much riding time (your riding time gets limited as you get over 30!)

Offline Petr

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I usually ride for about two or three hours a day (not everyday but as much as possible). The first hour or so i focus on two tricks. These are the tricks that are 'new' or haven't got dailed. Befor i ride to my riding spot i decide which tricks i want to focus on. I try to relax, take my time and take quite a few short breaks.
The rest of the time i just ride. Older tricks, having fun, mocking about, making sure the tricks stay in my system. My repertoire is pretty small. I'm pretty much a beginner (or actually started over after a ten year break).
This "method" works for me. It keeps me focused and i have fun every day.
Cheers, Petr (The Netherlands). I'm turning 30 soon by the way.  ;D

Offline Rushman

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:50:24 PM »
Ha cheers Petr now I feel even more of a failure as a rider!Time for a  :beer: I think! :)

Offline Petr

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »
Well... I'm not a dad and I only work in the afternoon. So i've got plenty of time.
Besides; seeing "old fart riders" riding BMX (like you called them  ;D ) made me enthusiastic to start riding again.
Definitely not a failure Rushman!
Cheers  :beer:

Offline Gabess

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
I see, this is actually what I've been doing. But what I was wondering about, is what makes some people progress x times faster than a usual person like me? I mean e.g. Adam, Matthias, Moto, are quite young and they have possibly more tricks I will ever have, yet I don't believe in talent or skill.. They have also 2 legs and arms, so I believe it can come only from the way they practice...

Offline Petr

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »
I do believe in talent by the way. Some people just pick up their bike a land a trick the first time they try it. A friend of mine used to ride street but because of a knee injurie he doesn't ride anymore (for quite a few years now). Sometimes he comes along and sees me practicing new flat tricks. Then, when i take a break, he picks up my bike and nails the trick. Arrrghhh!  >:D

I do watch how-to's, ask other riders for tips, make some videos of my riding to see what i do wrong...

And ride as much as possible i guess

Offline Gabess

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 09:28:42 AM »
Okay, then let's say, I don't believe in some spiritual abracadabra, that they are simply better.. Perhaps they are stronger- that we can become- or have better balance - that we can get by practicing. I'm really willing to understand that...

Offline Petr

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »
Alright. I guess that when you reach a certain level of riding you're skilled enough to learn new trick more easily. And that level of rding can probably be achieved by practicing.

I see your point but i do not have any practice techniques or whatever that deffinitely lead to a faster progression. If there is one i would like to know  :P but i doubt if there are any.

Ride on! Petr.

Offline RobWire

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »
something that helped me alot when i rode everyday was making a list. it would look something like this:
-warm up 45 minutes
-land a steamroller 5 times in a row
-practice hang 5s for and hour
-practice steam boats for an hour

i dont know why but being able to see what you had to do and being able to physically cross it off the list when i was done was a really good feeling. and it helped me make sure i did everything i was planning on doing because its sucks to go home and see something wasnt crossed off.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »
Focus. Set clear goals one step ahead of what you're think you're capable of. Focus.

And Focus.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 12:08:24 AM »
I don't know if it's muscle memory, or a particular brand of intelligence, but some riders are able to learn from mistakes and repeat tricks more consistantly than others. There's so many variables tho. I think that finding what produces results for YOU is important. I don't progress fast at all, but as an example, if there is some new trick I am trying, I will sometimes work on that alone for hours until I start getting it. That's not a recommendation to others, that's just what works for me, and it works better than doing it for say 20 minutes and taking a break from it. Other times, I mix up a session a bunch, between front wheel and back wheel to keep the overall "feel" of the whole bike solid and even.

but yeah, focus! what I've found that works well for me is putting a song on repeat if I'm working on the same trick/link for an extended time.

Offline Rushman

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:57:59 PM »
Hey Gabess - how you getting along with practice?

Offline Gabess

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
Sorry guys I haven't been at home... Well, I get and I also learn new tricks. After 3 years pause I started again this year in February. I learned back all my stuffs and learned tricks like Tomahawk, hitchicker, nosewheelie. Put on the other hand I know that there are people who learn many times more in the same time and I would really like to figure out how.. But honestly, I neither have the energy, nor the time to practice more than 3-4x 2 hours a week..