Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Maestro

Smoking
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:02:31 AM »
Soooo... I have ONE other friend that rides flatland with me and we usually just ride for a little bit then we get tired and go smoke. I however am now trying to quit smoking which temporarily means quitting my friends as well because I simply just am not strong enough to resist the urge to smoke when they do and they all smoke. I'm trying to dedicate more time to practicing flatland and staying active/healthy and less time sitting around playing video games and smoking with my friends. Now when I get the urge to smoke I'm trying to go ride instead. Its a lot harder riding alone and even harder trying to find things to do without my friends.... kinda sucks. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, guess I'm just wondering is anyone else going through this? Any advice?

Seriously struggling
Maestro

Offline flatlandpercy

• Backpacker
Re: Smoking
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:18:16 AM »
I got off all my meds after being on them for over ten years.
The withdrawl success rate was less than 5 percent.  I needed
to win the battle so I could live a life care-free from these
pills that caused me great health issues.  I rode my bike
all day and night for about a week, never stopping for more
than a half hour, no sleep.  It was the craziest thing, I would
go out in the snow at 3:30am after taking just a short break,
and ride shirtless in the blizzzard at the bus station, which
was lit up at night.  With everything spinning in my head, only
flatland made sense to me.  The progression came and taught
me where I need to be.  Everything in my world was flipped
upside down since that decision to get off my meds.  But I
am doing fine and will never go back on them.  I, unlinke you,
choose a life of solitary, and I struggle to get close to people.
Most of the time, I escape civilization to ride on my bike.
But the reason I say this, is because you gotta do what you
gotta do, and if leaving your friends forever is what you gotta
do to get clean, then do it.  If you really decide that it's what
you want, WHICH IT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE, then your gonna
have to just do it.  Don't be afraid brother.  Life is full of changes.
Things change all the time.  Remember when Nathan Penonzek
killed everyone at every contest!  Elvis!  Everything changes.
Priorities change.  Do it.  Remember however bad it is or get's
that that'll mean it'll feel SOOO much better when it finally get's
good again.  Remember that everything is relative.  You quitting
your habbit is going to put you in an uncomfortable place and it's
gonna be chitty for a while, but when it's over, and your free of it,
imagine how happy you will be; to have faught the good fight, to
have made the right decision, and to have come out on top.
Just be a warrior in the jungle, figuratively, never give up.  It's
just like riding flatland, if you want it, it's there, just do it, and
don't give up.  If not, well you know you tried your very best.
Don't die for the cause.  Just try your best without pushing death.
I think you can do that.  One other thing that'll help yuuo is to
remember that your doing good, no matter what, remember the pain is a good pain cuz it's with the better life than before and if you want
it bad enough, you'll get it.  If your having a real
bad time, call a friend who understand and talk with them.  Ask them what is
good about you.  You will be surprised at how easy it
is for people who, unlike yourself, arn't in esxtreme situations can find goodness in every day life.  You will find goodness too one day, when your brain recovers.  You can do it, DEFFINIETLY>Y!!!!  If you want it..  You got it.

loque

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:28:31 AM »
Thread is joke , must suck being an addicted mindless sheep at the mercy of your peers and KNOWING it . At times like this id go see my grandad for life advice and he would say "sort your life out you f*ckin wet lettuce" .

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »
I recently quit smoking. If being healthy is more important, sounds like you should worry less about ditching your friends if all they do is chain smoke and play video games. Make new friends that don't smoke!

I don't know if it's true for everyone, but in my life there's always been a give and take. If you remove something (like smoking) you need to 'fill the gap' with something else or it won't work. Riding is a good exchange.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:38:12 PM by jm »

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
I don't think he's talking about smoking cigarettes...

If you think about it, hanging out with the friends, playing video games and smoking, will do nothing for your riding progression.  If you want to ride, then ride.  If they're your friends, then they'll understand.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline ondo

• GF Inhabitant
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:44:34 PM »
Percy.. Those were some nice words. You're really good.

Anyway, good luck, man! Just don't worry about your decision, you gonna do it sooner or later.

Offline Maestro

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:05:54 AM »
Percy... Wow. what you wrote inspires me so much, it makes want to just slip away into my own world and just focus on flatland for awhile. its def time for some things to change. thank you. I wrote down what you said (some of it) as a reminder. You should a life coach or something, lol seriously tho! and I think Jim is right, ive realized that if im ever going to quit smoking i have to change my friends and surfon's also right I'm not talking about cigarettes. And loque...whats really pathetic is being so insecure that you go online and bash others to make yourself feel better. But my ego is fine so keep at it until you start feeling better about yours.

Offline Jodanimal

• Forkglider
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »
something tells me I will be having to go thru this soon..

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 02:38:52 AM »
     Percy those were very wise words you gave to everybody really.

I've been to pot since I was thirteen with all my friends until last year I decided it was enough for me. People really didn't and still don't understand that I was really fed up doing every day the same. Inspiration was gone and I could really see myself from outside hanging out with the same people and trying to do something different with them, just to see that it was always more comfortable for them to stay in the same place the whole f*cking year smoking and talking about nothing.

So after I made the decision at first I really felt out of the spin. You really see life different, or actually you see it as it is out of the hole. I will never regret it man. I still very usually hang out with them  but really the best thing of it is that it really committed myself to find friends who ride and now I have some of the nicest people around that I have ever met. REAL people as I hope you understand.

So even though you may feel like your a little on your own right now don't give up. It's not so hard if you realise you're just doing something for you. And then you'll see you'll feel it for your friend that didn't follow through and you'll feel stronger than them.

Stick with your bike and go meet real people man. You won't regret it!

Sorry for my english and the gospel!!
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."