Author Topic: Quamen G9 Euro Bracket Bullsh*t!! Argghh  (Read 10664 times)

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
Quamen G9 Euro Bracket Bullsh*t!! Argghh
« on: December 04, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
Okay.... got my new Quamen G9 in the mail the other day, and started assembly. Clean out the bottom bracket really well and took it to a shop and had them carefully chase the threads to clean out what looked like excessive paint in the shell. The chasing tool went in all the way without any problems. DESPITE ALL THAT, I and other mechanics cannot get the brand new euro cups to thread into the shell, and even though no force was used to try getting them in, it looks like the b.b. shell may have screwed up the threads on the bearing cups. On the drive side, the threads would catch, but once you tried screwing the cup in, it would go in a bit then pop out (and I know we aren't turning the cups the wrong direction!). The left side isn't catching at all and I'm not about to force it.
Please don't tell me I have to go through some warranty b.s. just because the shell was threaded all retarded or something. Would love some feedback from other riders and even Quamen folks about this before I start making phone calls. In the meantime, please stop using euro b.b.'s on frames, BMX companies. Thanks, and f*ck... pfft.

Offline dan4130

• Backpacker
Re: Quamen G9 Euro Bracket Bullsh*t!! Argghh
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »
AMEN TO EURO BOTTOM BRACKETS   I HATE EM
IF FLATLAND EVER HAS A DEBATE TEAM. I WANT T.J. PERRY AS MY CAPTAIN!!

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »
Right-side bearing goes on the left side, left-side bearing goes on the right side. They flipped the BB shell. This way it's highly unlikely that the Euro cups unthread themselves while pedaling.

Source: Former owner of a Delta 2, 3, and 4.

If not, you're f*cked! ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:15:35 PM by Furball »
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline Pete Brandt

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
Just get a plastic bb and save yourself the hassle if you cant thread it in.

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:38:58 PM »
I don't think quamen does any "in-house" painting(I may be wrong).  But either way the painter who has been painting these frames should know that there are special gromets, and plugs you can purchase to eliminate these types of issues.  They are not too high in price , and are made of a compound that can be put into gun watching machines for easy clean-up.

Offline paulbrown692000

• GF Inhabitant
    • Revelation BMX
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 01:04:08 AM »
I hate euro Bottom Brackets. I hated working road bikes and having to clean the threads.  :P
All things in life are temporary. If going well...enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong don’t worry, they can't last long either.

blackwheel

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 04:05:00 AM »
I spent hours getting the bearings to thread into my Cyphr due to the same issue I think. What got it to go, finally, was working the threads on the bearings and the bb with a Scotch Brite pad and cleaning the snot out of it until it worked. good luck dude, hope it's not f'd.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:31:05 AM by blackwheel »

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 04:21:27 AM »
They are still using Euro BBs? Seriously?

I'd almost take american over Euro. They break stupid easy, strip out stupid easy, and lock up stupid easy. They're the worst bottom brackets you can use on any frame ever.

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 04:31:49 AM »
So if the thread chaser went in no prob.....how is it the BB isnt going in?  When I was threading mine in I kept moving it slightly crooked until I finally got it squared straight in and pow....spun all the way by hand to the last couple threads.

Those threads are very fine and it's easy to skip the first thread or not align the cups right. Be cautious and take your time. Wrap it with a rag and turn by hand, so you don't hurt yourself and possibly scratch your frame or BB.
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 05:10:32 AM »
Okay, so went back and chased the threads again. Even then, there was still some paint in there, so I went in very gently with a dremel and brass bristle head and cleaned that junk out. Voila, cups finally went it.  :beer:
Really though, whoever hooked up the paint job on the G9's should be a little more careful sealing the frame up beforehand. In any case, I'm still opposed to euro brackets.. lol. I'll post some pics and maybe a short clip once she's up and running.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 05:11:33 AM »

I'd almost take american over Euro. They break stupid easy, strip out stupid easy, and lock up stupid easy. They're the worst bottom brackets you can use on any frame ever.

With mids and spanish bb's around, not sure why the euro hasn't been phased out of existence yet..

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 09:30:01 AM »

With mids and spanish bb's around, not sure why the euro hasn't been phased out of existence yet..

oh haha wait it's a quamen I forgot.

Of course they'd be using Euro. Surprised they still aren't on American and using the lardset. :)

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
mid is the best.f*ck euro

Offline paulbrown692000

• GF Inhabitant
    • Revelation BMX
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »
yeah get with the times and make spanish or mid, Makes putting a frame together a breeze
All things in life are temporary. If going well...enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong don’t worry, they can't last long either.

Offline carld

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
its not just powder coat, many times its the welder, like the threads need to be redone after the welding, just like a mid, or spanish should be remachined.

i think its mid that should be phased out.. spanish should be the bmx standard to simplify things.  euro though, has the world standard on all the other bikes.  if it was refined in bmx (theres those outboard ones) it can work very well.  its a matter of bmxer's understanding threading direction, instead of the simple caveman hammer.

i miss american "mega" bottom brackets, where i can use some .. "free" 1 peice crank i took off a ten speed in a trash pile. 
Sorry I don't kiss ass, or care to follow, or copy.