Author Topic: New Guy with a slightly weird question.  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Moshman

New Guy with a slightly weird question.
« on: March 24, 2010, 05:20:54 AM »
Hey guys
I have a question about coaster brakes and was told you guys were the one's to ask.

The question is really quite simple. I want to have a coaster brake with micro gearing, is this posible?

I find this as a suitable solution to having the clean brake less look without actually riding around brake less.

Thanks!

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: New Guy with a slightly weird question.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:29 AM »
You should be able to run the 12t Kore cogs if you run the Suntour or Shimano style of coaster. They have removable cogs with a spring clip. The 12t cogs do break easier than 14t - 17t, but some people actually weld them on and its bombproof. But it makes it harder to work on later.  :P
If you run 12t , you can then run 24t on the front. Thats about as small as you can go as far as I know.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:57:49 AM by Paradoxium »

Offline Moshman

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:10:23 AM »
You should be able to run the 12t Kore cogs if you run the Suntour or Shimano style of coaster. They have removable cogs with a spring clip. The 12t cogs do break easier than 14t - 17t, but some people actually weld them on and its bombproof. But it makes it harder to work on later.  :P
If you run 12t , you can then run 24t on the front. Thats about as small as you can go as far as I know.

That would be great! 12 would be small enough. Where can I find the Kore cogs though?

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:18:29 AM »
E-Bay. I'm looking now but haven't found one. They just pop up now and again.

byke

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:40 PM »
weld it on ... the small cogs snap and strip very easily due to the limited material.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
I got a 12T KORE cog on ebay last month...try Marie at majorsales@comcast dot net

Yes they are really thin towards the center.....but that huge snap ring should help, or weld it!...good luck dude!

Offline Moshman

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 01:40:39 AM »
Thanks guys for all of the help with this, what do you think about the possibility of using a Nankai Coaster brake and threading in a replacement 9t driver? The pitch looks the same on both generations of drivers... plus that is a 3/8" free coaster, so there wouldn't be any internal size differences?

You guys rock, I'm glad my buddy told me to try here first, you really know your freecoasters!!!

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:37:01 AM »
 nankais are great, but they are not coasterbrakes, youd still be brakeless

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:04:01 AM »
nankais are great, but they are not coasterbrakes, youd still be brakeless

Nankai produces coaster brakes... the original Nankai freecoasters were just factory modded coasters...

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo