Author Topic: Flatland right of way, or why i hate basketball players  (Read 14329 times)

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
Flatland right of way, or why i hate basketball players
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:23:39 AM »
i hate basketball players.  especially the one's who when 3 of 4 courts are open just walk up to the one i'm at and just start shootin away.  someone please explain this to me.  am i invisible? is it the confrontational male ego?  i don't mind so much giving the court away and switching, but it's the disrespectful one's that really get to me.  also, i think i have just as much right to be there as anyone, first come owns it.  my fellow riders, however, don't completely share this philosophy.     they'll give it up.  i did not let a 10 year old kid take my court today when he came up and just walked right in front of me and started throwin.  i stared him down and asked him why he was in my way, prob solved.  i also didn't let a father/ son have a court a couple of weeks ago.  all courts were being used and they were the 4th on.  theirs was the one that was still wet from showers the day before.  after 15 mins they just came over to me and announced they were going to play were i was.  i promptly told him to respect my authoritor and let him know that wasn't happening.  another good one was the 6 college kids who bum rushed me and announced they were playin full court.  2 mins later f bombs were dropping and 2 guys were in my face.  after my flawless logic was delivered they both shook my hand and apologized (this particular court is a public park).   i really hate confrontations, and it usually makes me a lil anxious, but i got limited places to ride during the week(weekend spot always be empty and chill).  your opinions and similar stories?

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Re: Flatland right of way, or why i hate basketball players
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:00:36 AM »
I say, just keep riding.  They'll probably get a little annoyed that your riding in the same spot.  

If that fails, ask em to play...and promplty shoot the ball over the fence...or purposely throw the game.  Or make a bet with em.  First one to make a basket or the first one to complete a trick...winner takes the court.  Booya!  Surely you can make a basket before they can land a trick!
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:03:10 AM »
i live in Memphis, and rednecks will pull into my spot, at least 400 yards long by 70 yards deep, to come right at me.  then drive on through and back out onto the street.
people suck on a whole.
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:43:48 AM »
i've dealt with the "i must be invisible" thing. i just think people don't think at all. there were times i was in the middle of riding and suddenly found myself in the middle of a tenis game. no excuse me, no nothing...

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:46:00 AM »
i live in Memphis, and rednecks will pull into my spot, at least 400 yards long by 70 yards deep, to come right at me.  then drive on through and back out onto the street.
people suck on a whole.

ha, that brings back memories.  that happened nightly where i grew up.  i rode at a shopping center that was huge, and people would drive as close as they could then get mad cuz i wouldn't get out of their way.  i hit someone while in a x-stick b one time then when i stepped outta the trick i threw my bike into the side of the truck.  prob shouldn't have done that, but he thought it was from hitting me and seemed genuinely upset about it.   i also was really fond of the people who park right next to where you're doing trix when the entire lot is empty.  turns out being an a-hole gets more results than nicely asking people to please move their cars.    

Offline jeroflat

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 02:48:44 AM »
i hate basketball players.  especially the one's who when 3 of 4 courts are open just walk up to the one i'm at and just start shootin away.  someone please explain this to me.  am i invisible? is it the confrontational male ego?  i don't mind so much giving the court away and switching, but it's the disrespectful one's that really get to me.  also, i think i have just as much right to be there as anyone, first come owns it.  my fellow riders, however, don't completely share this philosophy.     they'll give it up.  i did not let a 10 year old kid take my court today when he came up and just walked right in front of me and started throwin.  i stared him down and asked him why he was in my way, prob solved.  i also didn't let a father/ son have a court a couple of weeks ago.  all courts were being used and they were the 4th on.  theirs was the one that was still wet from showers the day before.  after 15 mins they just came over to me and announced they were going to play were i was.  i promptly told him to respect my authoritor and let him know that wasn't happening.  another good one was the 6 college kids who bum rushed me and announced they were playin full court.  2 mins later f bombs were dropping and 2 guys were in my face.  after my flawless logic was delivered they both shook my hand and apologized (this particular court is a public park).   i really hate confrontations, and it usually makes me a lil anxious, but i got limited places to ride during the week(weekend spot always be empty and chill).  your opinions and similar stories?
yo men, exactly happens to me but with soccer player...i really hate them, they always f*ck my session, my riding is so cool until they come..f*ck them...wish i have a machinegun a kill'em all...f*ck soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline misterpola

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 03:04:00 AM »
same happens with soccer players, tennis players, hockey players, hip hop dancers, skaters, people riding bikes or people who is just walking. It also happens with dogs, cars, children with scooters and little kids running.
f*ck

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:45:17 AM »
do you take up full court though?

this only happened to me once
there's one basketball court next to my apartment complex and people start playing around noon
so.. i have to get my riding done in the morning in between classes
but like a month ago i went to go ride at 8am (couldnt sleep..) and like 3 min after i got there, 3 people came and wanted full court. i asked them if i can take a half and they said sure, but they still went on and played full court  :angry:

.. and cant ride there weekends because no one has class and people dont have work and such so its taken all day

i need a new spot
Signing out...

Offline Trickzta

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:25:46 AM »
I hate it when parents don't care what their kids do.

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 12:11:24 AM »
this reminds me, im going to have to deal with those people who get their years worth of exercise in during the first two months of warm weather. my spot will be packed ussually till late at night. i kept having to show up later and later to avoid people. i think last year i was on the 10:30pm to 12:30pm. it actually works out good since its cooler at night during the summer. things thin out though after like the first two months of warm weather. then its back to couch riding and local bars for those people. ^_^

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 01:43:51 AM »
people suck on a whole.
  Well if thats the worst thing that happens thats okay...at least this didn't happen
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 01:52:12 AM »
holy sh!t theres bikes and dudes just flying through the air....

dude must be wasted not to see them. we had a lady around here hopped up on pills run into i beleive it was around 9 to 10 Harley riders.....how do you not see or atleast hear 9 choppers? lady must have been wacked out of her mind...

Offline paulbrown692000

• GF Inhabitant
    • Revelation BMX
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 02:15:40 AM »
i used to ride out in front of a TCBY every night with my friends and we had our share of crazies but this one night we had some rednecks keep messing with us all night.  So i get pissed and yell at them and get them to stop the car.  I told the driver to get out of his car and the minute he put one leg out the door I slammed it on his head and leg and when he hit the ground I started to beat the s?*t out of him.  Then looked up at the passenger and asked if he wanted to get out of the car.  My friends were just looking and then we had to split. 

I have so many stories from late night rides.
All things in life are temporary. If going well...enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong don’t worry, they can't last long either.

Offline RobWire

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 02:36:43 AM »
awhile ago before i started riding i was with my friend jay and some guys started harassing us. next thing i know my friend pulls a tailwhip off a kicker and one of the guys harassing us got nothing but axle nut to the knee.

Offline froghammer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 03:49:40 AM »
So, you're riding at basketball courts and get pissed when *gasp* basketball players arrive? I find that odd. Haha.

The reason they like the court you're on is the same reason you like it- it's the flattest one. Nothing more annoying than dribbling on some wonky court.
It truly is a romance of many dimensions, isn't it?

http://www.froghammer.com