Author Topic: The bike that makes no sense  (Read 9953 times)

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
The bike that makes no sense
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:43:44 AM »
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but WTF?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLY-SUELO-SIMPLE-V2-BMX-FLATLAND-BIKE-SHADOW-SKYWAY-NEW_W0QQitemZ310151771435QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBMX_Bikes?hash=item48367c752b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Mags on a newschool flatland frame?  Mags with a freewheel?  With 23/16 gearing?  And various street components?  It's probably a cool-looking bike to the untrained eye, but who in the world would want his bike set up this way?  And yet dude keeps listing it over and over for $1000.

Offline Clash

• Funky Chicken
Re: The bike that makes no sense
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:52:36 AM »
My Name is Clash because I live a vintage life.  I do enjoy some new things though....... So both worlds clash together. 

Maybe this guy is the same way just with Flat....????

You could just ask him.

Clash

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:58:36 AM »
looks like perhaps a backwheel oriented bike with mags for old skool flavah?

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 04:19:41 AM »
I have a set of skyway mags in a nice blue color that I have modified to take a 12 tooth kore cog on them,   and I have also modified the internal coasterbrake to become a freecoaster.

so my skyway mags are 12t with a freecoaster.
that would be tons better than a freewheel.

but again - plastic mags suck with 65 psi in the tires max before they blow off the mags.
 :P
Old dudes can still rip

Offline Rad255

• GF Inhabitant
  • Just laugh.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »
What's wrong with mags?

g-man

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »
I thought the guy in the old school vid ripped it up on mags.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »
Mags are complete useless crap for flat.  I did run mags on a street bike for awhile(even after the decline in popularity) just because I was tired of replacing bent wheels.  But they even sucked for street.  If you do a 180 or 360, they just flex so much and kind of buck you off the bike. 

But anywho...if he wants to sell a bike like that...go for it.  I don't think he will get many takers though.

The guy in the recent old school video just has exceptional skills to ride those mags.  He was also riding an old school race frame...but I don't see many people running out to get race frames to ride either. 

Does look kind of cool with those mags though.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline dan4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
just maybe if you knew who own masterblaster planet  then you would not question the setup

the dude announces a zillion bmx pro show a year
IF FLATLAND EVER HAS A DEBATE TEAM. I WANT T.J. PERRY AS MY CAPTAIN!!

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
just maybe if you knew who own masterblaster planet  then you would not question the setup

the dude announces a zillion bmx pro show a year

Well that's cool, but the fact remains that no one has bought this bike.  I think it's been listed for months.  I wish him luck, though.

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »
the guy behind Masterblaster is a great flatlander. Also a lover of bikes in general and a sneaker freak. I would guess he put this together as more of an art project than anything. Just a guess though. Great looking bike.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

the beard

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 08:46:12 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, he's sold a grip of these custom bikes. I've spoken with him about them; he enjoys making them-it's fun for him. I think they look dope. Are they hardcore flatland bikes? probably not. Are they cool bikes? Absolutely!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:08:56 PM by prana »

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 10:07:11 PM »
This is just one of that old issues where: "No one is telling you to buy it so..".

The bike price is probably right if you sum up all those parts alone you will probably end up with something close to that so I don't see the drama.

Maybe there are riders who just want to have a cool looking bike to ride here and there hang out with some friends an such.

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 10:22:02 PM »
This is just one of that old issues where: "No one is telling you to buy it so..".

The bike price is probably right if you sum up all those parts alone you will probably end up with something close to that so I don't see the drama.

Maybe there are riders who just want to have a cool looking bike to ride here and there hang out with some friends an such.

Not everything here has to be a drama episode.  I just think it's an odd bike to try and sell.  But it's not a big deal and, if anything, I have given his product more exposure.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 01:03:04 AM »
For some reason, I think of Aaron Dull every time I look at this bike.  The green mags, man.  I had a guy just today talking about wanting to put some green mags on his S&M Dirt Bike.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Lurtz uruk

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 03:04:26 AM »
wow, i can see how its pretty stupid, but is it really worth $1000 alltogether?