Author Topic: BEGINNERS, come hither! Updated: READ THE OP  (Read 258910 times)

TJ Perry

BEGINNERS, come hither! Updated: READ THE OP
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:16:56 AM »
Alright noobs (or otherwise, I don't care, I'll help anyone really) if you have any questions about basic tricks or how to set up your bike, I'm here for you. If anyone else is stuck on a trick or is having trouble learning, I'm here for you.

I did this about a year ago and had a pretty good response from the forum so I'm going to try it again since that thread is dead and gone. Seriously, if anyone needs help with ANYTHING riding related, I'm here to help out in any way I can.

UPDATE: I've had a lot of people getting in touch with me over AIM lately and I just wanted to add a few words. I can't help you guys if you can't pick a direction as to what you want to do. I also can't help you if you aren't trying what I'm saying, or if you aren't practicing. Going out and trying a trick twice does not constitute PRACTICE. I'm willing to help, but the effort needs to be reciprocated. If you're going to ask me something, please be as specific as possible.

Examples of not being specific includes:

- "How do I do tailwhips?"

- "What is the best frame?"

Examples of being specific. Hint: this is how you should approach this :

- "I'm having trouble getting the frame past the 270 degree point on tailwhips, how do I get past this point?"

- "I'm 5"10 and 160 lbs, what sized frame should I consider investing in?"

This stuff is important, and will speed up the conversation. Believe me when I say that I want to help everyone that gets in touch with me, but lately I've been getting up to 5-10 messages at a time, and it's difficult to juggle conversations with that many people while also doing other things. Do not be offended if I cannot talk at a particular moment. I have school, I have studying, I have papers to write. IM me later and I will be happy to help you out later!

I usually add everyone who gets in touch with me to my contact list. This is getting well into well over 100 people now, so don't be offended if I don't remember who you are immediately. Let me know what we were discussing before. You don't have to IM me to tell me that you got 5 squeaks instead of 4, or that a new part came in the mail. I am happy for you because I know what that felt like the first time it happened for me, but as I said before I have a limited ability to deal with so many people at once.

I'm not saying any of this to be rude or course about helping people out, it's just that this has taken off in a way I hadn't anticipated and suddenly the volume of people asking for help has sprung to a nearly unmanagable level between the forums, email, Pms, and AIM messages. I just need to find new ways of helping people out, while at the same time making sure everyone gets the attention that they need so that they can continue to progress!

For those of you who have sought out my help and overcome whatever problem that was holding you back, I'm incredibly proud of you. In the end it was YOU who pulled the trick, I just pointed you in the right direction (hopefully haha). Be proud of yourselves for the constitution you've displayed in sticking to what some feel is a rather daunting and difficult sport. You can thank me if you want but that's not what I'm looking for, I'd rather you thank yourselves. :)

my resume:
Small | Large

Alright guys/girls, hit me up if you need help!

PS: If you REALLY want me to help out with tricks, the best way for me to do this is to see what you're doing wrong! If you have any video of you trying a trick and failing, I'll do my best to help you correct the motions step by step so we can get you busting the f*ck out in no time!

TJ Perry

edit: I'd also like to add I need people to speak english. The last time I did this people were Iming me in Spanish, Portuguese, German, Russian.... It's kind of hard to explain things via google language tools:(

Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:03:40 PM by Paradoxium »

Offline jsteady

• GF Inhabitant
    • :P
Re: Beginners come hither! (part 2)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:51:22 AM »
Do skinny pants help with balance??
:P

TJ is a good guy and a great mentor. He won't belittle you. He only give you facts.
Don't be afraid everyone!!

Thanks TJ for offering this service. The flatland community is thankful for it!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline dethtrk17

• Deathtrucker
    • MYSPACE
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:16:23 AM »
Very nice of you to help out the vast community of beginners....thanks man :beer: :beer:

I know you saw this coming...but I cant get hang 5s
I can get the bike up and hold it for a second or two and then the back of the bike drifts, and since the seat is wedged against my rear end I drift with it and fall over. I feel like I have the concept of the position and rolling, its just keeping it under me. On average it falls to the left....what am I doing wrong?

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:25:24 AM »
karl croozers are verry akward for me.
I think its holding the seat with my left hand.  it messes with me.

right foot on peg,   left foot out for balance,   right hand on grip
left hand holding seat - going fowards =   if my bars are backwards I can at least roll this for a fiew feet.  if my bars are fowards ,  I just cant seem to find a balance that does not make my bars wana turn and fall inward and collapse the trick on  myself.  -  seems like I can only do this in circles spinning inwards to keep the balance of the trick up...

hopefully I can post up a video of this by sunday for all to view / review
and hopefully show me what the heck im doing wrong.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline Tweekend

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 03:49:36 AM »
Hey, this is awesome..!!  I've been riding 3yrs now, but still can't get a Time Machine to spin more than one full circle.  It's so frustrating..!! 
I'll make a vid from a few different angles, tomorrow, and see what Doctor Perry prescribes.
Thanks, TJ.  We all appreciate ur time and effort  :)

TJ Perry

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 05:24:17 AM »
If you guys could get in contact with me personally that will help both of us out A LOT. If you have any questions hit me up on AIM that way I can walk you through everything and try different ways of explaining things to make it easier to understand!

timk4130!

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »
How do i just consistantly roll a trick w/out all that pumping bull sh*t??

TJ Perry

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »

Like move without participating in the creation of forwards or backwards momentum?

Levitate. Duh.

timk4130!

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »
Thanks TJ! I'll give it a shot! =)

byke

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
I think this thread should also give help to all those oldschool riders.
TJ how about posting some hoping trick tips, maybe a power mower and miami hops video

;)  :wacko: ;D

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »
Can't you get ahold of an MSN account? Most people use that native application that bundles with windows and all.

I'd really like to ask you some questions that have been bugging me forever..

TJ Perry

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »
Can't you get ahold of an MSN account? Most people use that native application that bundles with windows and all.

I would, except a sh*tload of Bots and spam comes through whenever I give that out..

Budz

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »

Like move without participating in the creation of forwards or backwards momentum?

Levitate. Duh.
awesome! TJ definitely knows his shtuff! ;D :mellow:
i wouldve suggested hooking up to a tow rope, but that just goes to show how much i know. :rolleyes:

great thread btw...this is very oldskool of u TJ. :beer: ;)

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 12:13:18 AM »

I would, except a sh*tload of Bots and spam comes through whenever I give that out..

Well, just hand it privately, don't post it publicly, I can open an AIM account, I'd do it just to share and clear some difficulties I have with my riding, but.. :P

In my case you can PM your username (email), I can'g give anything better than "my word", but I'm no spammer, neither I take vengenace on ppl who I end up disliking for whatever reason.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 12:49:26 AM »

Levitate. Duh.
awesome! TJ definitely knows his shtuff! ;D :mellow:
i wouldve suggested hooking up to a tow rope, but that just goes to show how much i know. :rolleyes:

great thread btw...this is very oldskool of u TJ. :beer: ;)
Budz,you crack me up Bro!!!! -_-