Author Topic: Whiplash's  (Read 7003 times)

Offline Matt Newquay

• Backpacker
  • Roll on Summer
Whiplash's
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:22:53 PM »
Hey i know lots of people get a load of stick for posting questions about how too's
but i really want to get this trick learnt!

Okay i can do single ones fine and i can also step over the frame and put my good foot back on the front peg (my right foot) but the back always drops, i'm trying to keep the bars pushed down and keep my weight over the front wheel!
Is there a good way to get more comfortable on your switch foot to make this easier?

Thanks for any help given. Cheers Matt
Oh how I wish it was dry !

henry

Re: Whiplash's
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:24:46 PM »
learn hang 5's with you opposite foot.

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
i dont quite understand, what do u mean step over and put ur good foot on?
slater

Offline Wisconsinflat

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
has to be a better way then opp hang 5 ????

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »
learn hang 5's with you opposite foot.

+1
u r very close if u can do hang5s with both feets

Offline Matt Newquay

• Backpacker
  • Roll on Summer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:28:37 PM »
you know when you push or kick the frame round you normally start with your strongest foot on the fromt peg for me its my right foot so i kick the frame round with my left leg, then i switch my feet so my left is on the front peg and my right foot is going to step over the frame, well when i step over i put my right foot back on the peg but the back wheel always drops!!
Does that make sense??

Offline Thomas D

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:38:09 PM »
+1 on opposite hang5

Also try hang10 and  hang5 to opposite hang5 to hang5 etc... so you will learn switching your feet from the pegs without loosing your balance.

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »
you know when you push or kick the frame round you normally start with your strongest foot on the fromt peg for me its my right foot so i kick the frame round with my left leg, then i switch my feet so my left is on the front peg and my right foot is going to step over the frame, well when i step over i put my right foot back on the peg but the back wheel always drops!!
Does that make sense??

i follow u now, as soon as ur right foot goes back on take of ur other foot to counter balance and also to be ready to step onto the frame or pedal
slater

Offline Brickhead

• Funky Chicken
  • No sir, you're a towel.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 12:31:59 AM »
Also try hang10 and  hang5 to opposite hang5 to hang5 etc... so you will learn switching your feet from the pegs without loosing your balance.
Yes.

Offline tranqulized

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 04:02:59 AM »
you shouldn't have the bars rocked fw that much...
for multiples you kinda want to keep the bars from moving too much... watch chase do multiples... the bars don't go fw n bw very much.... his  body stays very stationary asside from his legs moving up and down... his bars go more ever so slightly side to side more than fw and bw...
I naturally do hang 5's on my right foot so whiplash to hang 5 on my right foot just comes naturally... id say once you get that, you should be well on your way to multiples....

Prasheel

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:08:26 AM »
The best way to get these is just to practice the sh*t out of them.

But asides from that, just watch footage or someone else do them.  I keep my body leaned over the front end.  I try to pop up in to the sweet spot, but sometimes on my first one or two whips (or even the later ones too at times), I find myself adjusting the front end back and fourth to find the spot that I like it to be.

I like to do mine so the back end is barely off the ground when the frames in front of me.  This causes the frame to slow down a lot when I'm stepping over, allowing me to take my time and do it as controlled as possible.  I know others that like to keep the front end at about 90*, and just try to get the step over done as quickly as possible, but I personally find that doing it like that is too rushed for me.

Offline Matt Newquay

• Backpacker
  • Roll on Summer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
Cool well all that has got me excited about going riding now!
And the suns out even better !!
Cheers guys  :beer: :beer:

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:45:28 AM »
I know this might sound funny, but if you can do the Cabage Patch (Old Dance from the 80's) then Whiplashes should come easy!

It's the same concept with your upper body & lower body! Your just on a bike! lol... No joke!

Thlayli

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 09:34:24 AM »
I know this might sound funny, but if you can do the Cabage Patch (Old Dance from the 80's) then Whiplashes should come easy!

It's the same concept with your upper body & lower body! Your just on a bike! lol... No joke!

This was just a ploy to get me to do the cabbage patch at my desk while I'm half-asleep and not thinking right, wasn't it?

also, glad to know I'm not gonna be the only one playing with opposite hang 5's.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »
weird quick question about head tube angle and how it affects tricks like whiplashes,

on my darwin bike I have 75deg.  ht angle,   seems like when the bike gets half around I need to bring the bars backwards a bit to keep the rear tire from hitting the ground,
since my head tube angle is so steep,

seems like bikes with 74ht or lower would thereticly keep the forks more strait up and down
and would have to "ajust"  handlebar/fork positon less to keep the back tire off the ground at all times. -
any sense to this?   or maby there is other options to get the same feeling,
like a lower bearing race (on the fork) that has 1 or 2mm of rise to it?
or a front tire thats slightly larger in size,  like 1.85  if 1.75 in rear?
Old dudes can still rip